Author Topic: Ahoy  (Read 2633 times)

Toocold00

• Smolt
Ahoy
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:52:23 am »
Thanks for adding me to the forum. My name is Mark, and I grew up (mainly) in New Brunswick and throughout the duration of my career, I have resided  from Nova Scotia to Yukon, and many places in between. Have always been passionate about fishing and my personal best is a 35lb Laker, and 26lb Northern Pike, both caught in the NWT. I have finally found a place to call home and love all Brighton has to offer. I have a 1650 Crestliner W/T with manual downriggers, and am anxious to catch my first Lake Ontario salmon/steelie. So much to learn, so I am open to pointers.

Fair winds and following seas.

Mark

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
Re: Ahoy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:09:55 am »
Hi Mark you will love the fishing opportunities here.  With a 1650 boat you will be ok about 85% of the time on Lake Ontario, but don't take that for granted, it can turn big fast.  You will likely be leaving from the lift bridge, East winds are bad for us down at the Western end and South is not great either but we are protected down here and on most windy days, we can still fish some part of the lake. 

There are many topics here on local weather internet sites, find them and you will be all set.

Also over the past few days there have been a couple new trolling anglers added to the forum so just scroll through the last few days worth of topics and you will see 3 separate new folks looking for some ideas, your timing is perfect.  Watch those over the coming week and new tips/techniques/superstitions (no bananas on the boat) etc.,  they will all be there.  Good luck, watch those waves though, I started with a 16' and put hundreds and hundreds of hours on it on Lake ON so it can be done, but done with respect.  Jason
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

one bad knot

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:42:18 am »
Mark welcome to the board. A great bunch that are will to help......  I`m in port hope and would like to chat about NWT fishing as its a bucket list trip for me... Would be more then happy to pick your brain about as we are out on the lake here.... Its looking like I will be running sole for the next week so send me a not if you would like to hope on

Cheers

Scott 

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:47 am »
Read " Keating on Kings " by Captain Dan  Keating ; a good place to start !

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:21:30 pm »
Welcome Mark!   I've only been doing the salmon thing for the last couple years.   My regular launch is at Wicklow.   Great place for a smaller boat ( I've been using a narrow 16') as you can fish relatively close to shore. Lots of info on the site!

Bob

Toocold00

• Smolt
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:31:35 pm »
Thanks for the tips everyone. Caught a couple kings off of Wicklow now on spin doctors with a rocket, but hopefully more to come. Finally made it out to the patch this weekend as the water has been nice but no fish. Looking forward to finding a few more tips on the forum. Scott, I spent 5 years in Yellowknife and 2 years in Whitehorse, and am willing to share what I know with you. Working this week, but maybe an evening fish is in order.

Cheers