Author Topic: When to Use Copper?  (Read 5867 times)

CATNIP II

• Full Box
When to Use Copper?
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:01:07 am »
I bought a couple of copper rods a couple of years ago but they have seen very little use.  The main reason is that I'm not sure when I should use them.  I don't run planer boards.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
Re: When to Use Copper?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:24:27 pm »
How much copper on them?

Typically when fish are 40 to 80' deep. 
We always have one out for shy fish ... it's more of a stealth technique that can get them to bite.
We favor putting meat on copper.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

dwc67

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »
copper was my 5th rod out, down the chute after the riggers and divers
habanero spindoc crazyfish fly

not that great in a crowd kinda goes without saying

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:58:05 pm »
300 and 500 feet of copper.  Currently I run 3 riggers and two dipseys when I can. My sixth rod is lead core.  5, 10 or 15 colors depending on how deep the fish are.  15 colors of core would probably get down into the 60-70 foot range I suppose.  I always run spoons or body baits on lead core.  I'm trying to figure out when a copper rod is likely to produce better than one of the rods in my current spread.   

VanDoo Chris

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »
I will chime in,

It all depends what your battle plan is. On my boat long lines are out only when the dipseys starting to get slow later in the morning or when I cannot dialed into fish first time in the morning. Then, I will deploy them out to try some stealth presentations.

Both Leadcore and Copper have the same role which is to be able to offer a  stealth presentation away from the concussion of your boat and gear in the water. ( dypseys and dowriggers )

Without using boards you are limiting yourself to be able to use many long lines at the same time, so go with those that will bring you right at the depths you are targeting. You can maybe sacrifice one side by removing a dipsey and add a long Line instead.

Both your coppers will go deeper than your 15 colors of core and they can work together. I do not prioritize one or the other it is only a matter of getting a lure at the right depth IMO.

Chris

DocK

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:10:49 pm »
Catnip, your two lengths 300 and 500’ will get you down 60’ and 90’ respectively on a straight troll. You would use them when those depths are hitting on downriggers or divers. It allows you to put another line into that hot zone with stealth and separation. You are not going to put a 500’ copper out in heavy boat traffic on the Toronto drop but you could put out the 300’ with a musky torpedo. You would be advised to put them out way off on boards to avoid tangles. Make sure you have them straight into the current and not crossing across your divers.