Author Topic: Cannon Downriggers  (Read 15611 times)

stinger

Cannon Downriggers
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:21:00 pm »
I was pretty much set on buying a couple of new Big Jon Pro tournaments,
But since Cannon has come out with new design this year. there are some smoking deals on last year's models
This got me thinking   :-/
I have used older Cannon Mini Mags for 4 years, they were slow but  bullet proof, the only reason I sold them is I wanted something to handle 15 lb weight with ease and preferably have auto stop.
So I am asking for Pros and Cons from Cannon users(newer Mag HS models),
Speed ?
 weight capacity ?
Auto Stop function ( important) ?
Reliability (very important) ?
How do you like them overall?
Like I said, I know the older Cannons were well built, how reliable are the newer ones?

I believe the difference between Mag5 and Mag10 is that the Mag10 comes with extend able boom and swivel base,
Mag5 has a fix 24" boom and comes with no swivel base.
Both have the same motor, same amount of cable, same speed and same weight capacity.
The price difference is around $300 on a pair.
I think Mag5 HS will suite my needs since I only have a 16' aluminum boat and in the past never needed anything longer then 24" boom, I also have the swivel bases and rod holder setups from my other riggers.

Sorry about the long story but Cabin fever is getting to me, so please help me make this important decision    ;D

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

FishAbout

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »
If you fine a good deal don't be a afraid to buy them. I have been using ghe Mag 10 HS since they came out with no problems.  Will handle the 15 pound weight no problem.  Just make sure they are mounted to the boat well.  Have good support under the base,  they stop fast.

stinger

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »
Thanks FishAbout   :)

Polar Bear

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:16:00 pm »
I have a set of the newest CANNON riggers that I have been using for 2 weeks , all I can say is WOW ....they are smooth up and down , and I use a 15 # weight , I know most of you guys use Big Jons , but you will not be disappointed with the new CANNONS ....Mark
http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx297/out4trout1/Fishing%20Gear/?action=view¤t=001-1.mp4 Small | Large

twobuoys

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »
I just picked up a pair of last years model, Cannon Mag 5 HS's at the Sportsmans show. They were a great deal. I was actually looking at Big Jon's or Scotties, that was until I saw these units for real cheap. I then went to the Cannon booth and asked about them. They said to grab em quick, so I did. Up to now, I have run Big Jon manuals, so this will be my first pair of electrics.  :)
I was wondering though, is it worth it to mount the Cannon's on  swivel bases? I never did with the Big Jon's. I just put them on, and took them down, away from the dock. The Cannon swivel bases are pretty pricey too at about $99.00/each. Plus they seem a bit cheap/flimsy. Are they worth the money, or is there a better after market product out there??  ???

naturenut

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
I just got a Cannon a few weeks ago and was always running walkers, I decided to now get Berts tracks for the riggers, I bought a 4 inch riser today. It's universal so if I end up switching brands again I won't need to drill more holes in the boat.

naturenut

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
Forgot to mention the riser bases cost 80$

walleyejack

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »
i have a question, I just bought a Mag 10hs, was  just messing with it in my garage on the boat,it goes down fine,but when you hit the up side it stops when you let go of the button,I tried hitting for a nano second,and tried holding it for a few seconds,it stops as soon as I release the switch,am I doing something wrong here ?
Thanks Al

stinger

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »

i have a question, I just bought a Mag 10hs, was  just messing with it in my garage on the boat,it goes down fine,but when you hit the up side it stops when you let go of the button,I tried hitting for a nano second,and tried holding it for a few seconds,it stops as soon as I release the switch,am I doing something wrong here ?
Thanks Al

I think thats normal, you will have to hold the switch in "UP" position if you are testing it out of water because of Cannon's short stop feature, (weight stops at water surface)
I can't wait to try out my new pair of Mag5hs  ;D

walleyejack

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »
I feel your pain Stinger

twobuoys

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »
Hey Stinger. How do you have the new Mag5HS's mounted? Are they on the cannon swivels? Are the Cannon swivell mounts OK in your opinion?
Just wondering how to mount mine, solid or pivoting. Thinking of their swivel mounts, just don't want a new rigger to go for a swim in 300' of the blue stuff..

Strike Zone

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 07:45:00 pm »
Nice thing about the cannon swivel bases is the shear pin. If you come in a little too hot to the dock and whack your rigger the pin will break not the rigger or even worse would be to tear open your gunnel. The pin is replaceable quite reasonably. Don't ask me how I know.

stinger

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:00 pm »

Hey Stinger. How do you have the new Mag5HS's mounted? Are they on the cannon swivels? Are the Cannon swivel mounts OK in your opinion?
Just wondering how to mount mine, solid or pivoting. Thinking of their swivel mounts, just don't want a new rigger to go for a swim in 300' of the blue stuff..

I only have a 16' Crestliner, as much as I like to chase kings on Lk Ont, I also fish a lot of small lakes,
My riggers and rod holders are mounted on custom ss risers, Because of low free board on my boat  I hate to lean over and pull a loaded rod out of tube style holder, specially in rough water.
so here is what I came up with,
rigger rod holder on one side and a Down East salty on the other for the wire diver, both in wards so no leaning over  ;D
[image]
[image]
[image]

The 6" risers are  mounted on Big Jon swivel bases, and the whole setup goes in a custom sliding base, everything can be removed on a minute notice when I am not fishing for salmon.
May be not perfect, but it works for me  ;)

storminnorman

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »
8-)  8-)  8-) You made good use of limited space " NICE " regards stormin.

twobuoys

Cannon Downriggers
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 08:02:00 am »
Nice looking setup there Stinger.  8-) Compact and everything close at hand. Looks very solid as well. The Big Jon swivels look  to be metal too. Would they be better than Cannon's plastic swivels, especially in "cold" temps? And would the hole pattern line up, being different manufacturers?