Author Topic: HELP IN -LINE  (Read 7326 times)

strik

HELP IN -LINE
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »
Hey guys/girls

I need a little help im looking into getting a in-line planer board  was wondering what everyone recommends??

Also how do you determine when you get a fish on it ? I have run a walker diver and dippy but have never had a hit on either last year i ran one ever time out no luck

I'm thinking about going to the Toronto show in march to look at the different ones but a little heads up for what i`m looking for would be nice

Thanks
          Strik

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

jrgerritsen

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:43:00 pm »
I run church planner boards and am happy with them. Trust me most of the time you will know when a fish is on, If it is real small you will still see the board diving backwards in a differnet manner than normal. Look on the board for dipsy suggestions. but if no luck elsewhere try a # 1 dipsy with a 8" spin  doctor and fly with a 6' - 7'  leader between the dipsy and flasher. John

karl

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:04:00 pm »
when at the show look for me or someone at tightlines booth or jb's we'd be happy to give you the lowdown.thats why we're there to help you guys.

tonewbie

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:30:00 pm »
what show are you guys talking about?

karl

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »
sportsmans show march 16th -20th convention center toronto

Rodney King

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:00 pm »
Very happy with the church boards too.

jesse

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:04:00 pm »
I was looking at the church boards & wanted to know if the 44 is good when using lighter setups for browns & bows.I also want to run copper /core later in the season so i dont know if the 22 will cut it?Any imput on the size you guys run,Thanks

karl

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:54:00 pm »
44 is a monster .....start with the walleye or offshore salmon and trout boards thats what everyone uses.they work fine up to 400 copper

jesse

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:11:00 pm »
Thanks karl,I don't like overkill !

skamper35

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:00 pm »
Great advice Karl...Bernie

apmikel

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 06:13:00 pm »
I have been using dipseys for 3 summers now and i have found that you just have to fish for a while and if no luck adjust your depth, caught a 30lb salmon last year at bommanville.  also a 10lb at scotch bonnett and several lost fish over the few years.  I use 20lb mono and then 30lb white brade after the dipsey so that when you get a hit it wont break and will be a hard hit to release dipsey.  Planner boards are good to run out the side at the sametime, last year in bommanville was my first sucess and we caught to nice bows and lost one.

rockandtroll

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »
everyone has their own ideas and what works for some does not work for others.
You may find your hook up ratio may improve greatly if you switch your lines around. Run the no stretch braid from the rod to the dipsy and then your mono or fluorocarbon to your lure. Dipsy divers are very hard to trip on mono and you would be introducing tons of stretch between the rod and dipsy by using it. Most guys are running their diver setups with either braid or wire.
Try it that way and your number of hook ups will go up.
IMHO.
Mike

dsimms

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 09:32:00 am »
For spring trolling:

- What would be the advantage of using an inline planner board vs say a mini dipsey diver off the side?

brander

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 12:07:00 pm »
I'm no pro on this issue but I would say that the in line planner boards take your presentation further away from the boat than a dipsy ever would. Therefor giving you a stealthier approach. Also with using planner boards you have more control over the depth of your presentation. ie. let out more or less leadcore or wire out before clipping onto the planner board. You can even put a small dipsy behind your planner board to dial in the depth of presentation.

jesse

HELP IN -LINE
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 12:36:00 pm »

For spring trolling:

- What would be the advantage of using an inline planner board vs say a mini dipsey diver off the side?
I don't know if i could use a mini diver off jordan.I was only running 10-17ft deep & would probably drag bottom with the extra diving.