Author Topic: what size line?  (Read 3498 times)

shooter0

what size line?
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:19:00 am »
Hi guys,

I'm setting up a spread for early season Brown and Rainbow trolling that will serve double duty for late season walleye.  I have a pair of Shimano Compre rods with Okuma Clarion 204 reels.  I run mostly stick baits with Off Shore inlines.  Which type and test line would you reccommend?  Personally I'm leaning toward 20# Power Pro but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Shooter

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

dave70038

what size line?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:00 pm »
Depends what you like in terms of mono vs. braid. vs. copolymer.

In terms of pound test I like to run 20# copolymer as a standard on lake o but if I'm brown fishing specifically, I will run as low as 14 copolymer off an inline. When using braid for same application, I will never run less than 30# PP. For some reason I've had bad luck with 20#.  Never had a problem with the 14# copolymer for light use with inlines. As soon as kings start to show up, I move back to 20# copolymer.

Dave

steve

what size line?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:00 pm »
all my board fishing, brown trout, quinte walleye, and even kings, are done with 30lbs braid....

when brown/walleye fishing i use 17lbs test leaders, and when king fishing i use 20/25lbs test leaders....

leader length is generally 15' or so...give or take. often longer...not often shorter.

i personally feel it is an absolute must to use braid when fishing boards, as any stretch and you will start to loose contact with your lure through the line and board.

jammer13

what size line?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
I generally use softer rods than most as i don't like snap to my boards...  I use 20lb Yozuri on flatline cranks and high cores...  Braid only comes out for deeper cores and copper...  I find too much snap to the boards using braid on high lines...  Experiment and see what works best for you...   ;)