Author Topic: Added Movement  (Read 3199 times)

lp80

Added Movement
« on: June 06, 2011, 02:33:00 pm »
Hello All, quick question regarding leadcore.  Does the lure have better "action/whip/movement" at certain leadcore lengths?

What I mean is I have been told one of the reasons lead is so effective is the movement it creates at the end of the colours.

I have also heard less colours creates more movement (another reason the splice in a gap for anymore than 6 colours.

Thanks

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

jj7leaf

Added Movement
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:40:00 am »
the movement that most people refer to is the snake type way it tracks you through the water.  You cover more water due to turns and speed changes.  As you turn your inside rod moves slower than your outside rod therefore you inside rod sinks deeper and the outside rod raises, now you are not covering a specific depth like a downrigger, you are covering a  range of depths.  Even more exagerated on planer boards where the amount of distance to cover on a turn is greater.  

The main reason people splice shorter cores with mono or braid line is for using one rod to run multiple core lengths off boards.  The 100' of backing line between the short cores allows you to hook the core legth you want on a planer and let it out off the side without lead line hanging in the waves along the side of the boat.  guys make custom combinations of 2-3 colors and when  they let out sections they are running 2 color, then 3 more to be a 5 color then 2 more to be a 7 color and so on.  

As far as the lure action, if i wanted the most aggrivated action from a flasher fly I would run it as close to the ball as possible while still getting strikes, if I wanted it subdued and more lazy, I run it back further.
Now as for your question about whipping the lures, I guess I don't see how 10 colors or even 2 colors of lead then a 30' leader would induce a snappier lure action.  Maybe I'm missing something too but either way lead is a great tool to have on the boat.
Hope that helped.

j