Author Topic: Low Cost Core Setup?  (Read 6344 times)

dave524

Low Cost Core Setup?
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:00 am »
Considering adding some cores to the spread and was thinking of using low cost mooching reels like a Daiwa with mono backing. They seem to have the line capacity up to the task with a bit of weight savings over similar capacity conventional reels. Yes I realize they are 1:1 retrieve but considering a conventional  spool would be down to a pretty small diameter with the core out  and the moocher would be working off a larger diameter arbor maybe the difference would not be as great as the gear ratio would suggest?? Anyone try a setup like this or see anything wrong with my thinking. 2 spools of core, a bulk spool of 30 lb. mono and 4 lowcost moochers would give you a nice selection of lengths . Comments

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Trophy J

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:32:00 am »
2 spools of core? How many colors are you thinking?
How much are your low cost moochers?
Anything is possible when it comes to fishing ...
I run the Okuma Convectors for Leadcore. I use the CV 30's for less than 6 cores and the CV45's for more than 6 up to 10 core.
I would compare the price of your moochers with say the convector.
Good luck.

dave524

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:09:00 pm »
The Daiwas are in the 50 dollar range in Canada and have a capacity of over 500 yds of 20 lb. mono so I was thinking of mono backing for more savings over the necessity of thinner  pricey braid and I'm not a fan of braid in releases anyway. As far as lengths ,  I was considering 4 reels, 1 full core cut to yield a 2 and an 8 and the other cut to yield a 4 and a 6, or maybe 3 reels with one a full core and the other cut for a 3 and a 7.

edit: I intend to run them off fixed dual boards with releases not in lines

storminnorman

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:00 pm »
You must have arms like popeye. That set-up will kill you full cores are tough to handle on a good level wind. Let us know how you make out.

myot

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:37:00 pm »

You must have arms like popeye. That set-up will kill you full cores are tough to handle on a good level wind. Let us know how you make out.

exactly what Norm said you have fun with that and if you are feeling realy agressive put a 600' section of copper on one and have fun

dave524

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »
Which is the killer? the number of revolutions to retreive or the difficulty in cranking against a load? I've found high speed conventional reels some of the worst performers in retrieving against a load, what you gain in speed you lose in mechanical advantage.

tyeetamer

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:36:00 pm »
The # of revs per turn would be the big killer. A regular level wind geared at 4.0 - 4.2-1 such as tekotas, okuma convectors, or daiwa sealines have plenty of cranking power to bring in a full core or long stretch's of copper. I have a high speed okuma clarion which is 6.4-1 with 400' copper on it and I agree you do lose some power on the retrieve but for leadcore 4.2-1 is lot's of cranking power and it dosn't take you forever to reel it in. Your forearms will thank you  ;)

CATNIP II

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »
For up to 10 colors of core, I use Pen 309 for of core. Not much room for backing with 10 colors -  probably a good idea to use braid. For 8 colors or less there is room for sufficient 20 pound mono backing.  Slower retrieve than the Penn 330's and other comparable reels but the price is reasonable.

dave524

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:00 am »
Thanks, I was pretty sure I was going to see " arms like Popeye"  ;D somewhere in the responses. These were mainly going to be used walleye fishing on Erie off fixed boards . Maybe a couple of 30 size reels with 4/5 colours and some snap weights if required would work better, really wanted to stay away from bigger reels on walleyes, they are pretty tame  :-/

storminnorman

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:00 am »
No malice intended with the Popeye thing Dave . How about short sections of copper and braid works well on offshore steelhead and a lot of stateside walleye trollers are running short coppers 75 100 125 sections. Only a thought good luck with whatever you go with.

dave524

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:50:00 am »
No offense taken Norm, my thinking was the conventional would be down to a very small diameter spool with the cores out while the moocher would still have a bit of diameter to it, kind of negating any advantage to the geared system. Guess this isn't the case.

digby

Low Cost Core Setup?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:32:00 am »
What size if rod and type do you guys use? I have 7' Okuma's with large eyelids. I need to get something larger as my arms are turning into Popeye's! Rods that will allow the knots to pass through to the reel!

Cheers