Author Topic: using offshore planers with leadcore  (Read 6355 times)

salmonchaser

using offshore planers with leadcore
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
Hey guys,  I have some experiment with leadcore, but I'm fishing quinte for the first time and I wasn't sure how many colours can the offshore planerboard can handle.  Does anyone know how many colours can offshore planerboard can handle.?   Thanks guy, this site is awesome.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Trannyman

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:39:00 am »
I was running an 8 core on Sunday on an Offshore. I usually run the long cores on a Big Daddy Zboard but I had the inside boards on the set and I was using the Offshores. The Zboards tow so well we always run them on the outside. The offshore work well with 5 cores but the 8s & 10s are pushing it.

I prefer the Zboards over any others as the wire tow bar can be adjusted to tow different weight lines. Zboards will tow 500 copper with out a problem.

Later
  Al

salmonchaser

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »
Thanks for your help Trannyman. Going to Quinte after the first week of the deer hunt so I hope the fishing turns on.  Everything seems to be behind this year.  Even still hooking into couple boots trolling the mouths for rainbows.  But thanks again for your help and hope to see you on the water.  
P.S. What local tackle shop sells the zboards.?

Trannyman

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:35:00 am »

P.S. What local tackle shop sells the zboards.?  

I bought mine in New York. Do not know who carries them on this side.

The TX-44s are also good boards for heavy junk rods from all reports.

Al

Fang

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:00 pm »
I find it's not so much as the lead core behind the board  but the line from the board to the rod that provides the most problems. My small reels have 5 colors of 18 lb lead core running with a 50 ft of flouro leader. Offshores easily handle the 5 color of lead but if you have lead core from your rod to the board, that heavy line will cause drag on the board and on your rod. I tend to run a longer rod when having lead core from the rod to the board to help keep the line off the water

darkfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »
I find that you can run a 10 colour behind Walleye boards.  It helps to move the adjustment weight closer to the front of the board if you are going to drag full cores behind them.  Not ideal but they do work.

Matt

salmonchaser

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:00 pm »
Thank guys for your help. I was just planning on using 5  and 3 colours.  I think if I run my 10 colour that I use for salmon, it will be over kill because with reef runners or td 11's, I'll be running 70 ft deep.  Unless I go with smaller baits.  But thanks again for your help and hopefully I can hook my first quinte walleye.
This board is awesome, with great people as well.

hookemhard

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »
When I ran four colors and then a deep diver behind my board did not like how it sunk the board so you might want to stay with shallow divers or go what I did with the big boards.

karl

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
i've ran 10 colors with offshores for years no problem...but now i've switched to x44 s those suckers will pull anything and get this they are way easier to reel in than the smaller boards

championship

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:31:00 am »
They'll pull pretty much anything but it's important to change the pull point to a spot about 1/2" up from the bottom of the back of the board- changes them 100% and they pull great.  I personally like Church Walleye boards but, hey, run what you got.