Author Topic: Big Jon or Rivera planer board mast?  (Read 5498 times)

anthonyd

Big Jon or Rivera planer board mast?
« on: December 25, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »
i have a 16.5ft princecraft  with a 50 merc and I'm getting a mast for it i run big Jon down-riggers and feel i should put the big Jon mast (manual) on it to make everything match   ;D but i think performance wise i should go with the Riviera with automatic retrieval  any ideas? also another question if i pull big boards would i notice a difference in rough or clam water ?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

fishdawg

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
what make of boards are you running? Regardless, get yourself some Amish Outfitters snubbers for them

chadk

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:01:00 am »
Big Jon makes electric planers.

Tim Bromund

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:43:00 am »
if the money is available, forget both of them and go with Cicso.  All CNC machined aluminum, no plastic at all in their construction.  They come in both manual and electric and  the motors on the electrics are twice the size and much more badass than the big jon motors.  They drag in my very hard pulling Amish Outfitters redwood boards no problem.

Tim

storminnorman

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 02:47:00 pm »
On a boat your size I would go with BJ manuals and otter boards or regular boards you won't pull enough lines to warrant the Amish boards they are a handful and not necessary for a couple of lines. The otter boats work  they generally don't dive in rough water and they are stellar for copper set-ups. In lines have their place also don't rule them out . Good fishing .

anthonyd

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »
thanks for the help boys i think il go with the manuals

bn

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:00 am »
If you are running the Amish Outfitter boards stay away from the Riviera automatic mast. I've seen one wrecked in 5 trips wih the AO boards.