Author Topic: lead core with downrigger  (Read 8537 times)

greyhawk

lead core with downrigger
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »
Very interested in trying out a lead core system this year - first time ever. Picked up some great info from this board. Well appreciated. However, I have not seen any comment on running a lead core set up off a downrigger. Is this a possibility to get that extra depth or would the lead core only prove to be problematic - create more plane than normal for example?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

tyeetamer

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:00 pm »
Guys do it all the time. It's referred to as a Secret Weapon Rig or SWR. It is usually only 2 or 3 colors of leadcore and then the backing is clipped in the downrigger release. Can be deadly. You get the precision depth control of the downrigger with the added stealth/action of the leadcore.

hih

skamper35

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:53:00 pm »
Tyeetamer is absolutely right...Just let your lead core out to wherever you want then clip the backing on the downrigger clip and let her down to 20, 30, or whatever depth you feel good with...Targets your fish a lot better without letting all the line out...Good Luck with it...Bernie

greyhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:00 pm »
Thanks guys. Truly appreciate the info. Dying to try out this new technique.

tonewbie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:00 pm »
Can you clarify something for me on this... when you say "clip the Backing on the downrigger" Is this if you have 2 colour setup on a reel and you let it out to the backing ie PP line? or can you do this with a 10 coulour set up and attach it to the leadcore line after its out only 2 colours?

orangediablo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »
the backing of the leadcore (whether if be mono, braid....).  Don't put the leadcore in the release.  Your 2 color example is correct.

angler2011

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:00 pm »
Very interesting! Few more questions. What length of the leader from 2 colors to the spoon I should have? Also do you guys use SD/fly with 2 colors setup or just spoons?

tonewbie

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:00 pm »
and.... I'm wondering if you could have a couple of lenghts of leadcore that you could just attach to the end of one of your rigger reels with a swivel...? In this case you could  have a 2-3 or 5 ready and attach which ever one you think they want that day... HMMMM

Wouldn't need a reel setup for both...?

Tim Bromund

• Full Box
  • Salad is what FOOD Eats!!!
    • LOTSA
Re: lead core with downrigger
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:06:44 pm »
and.... I'm wondering if you could have a couple of lenghts of leadcore that you could just attach to the end of one of your rigger reels with a swivel...? In this case you could  have a 2-3 or 5 ready and attach which ever one you think they want that day... HMMMM

Wouldn't need a reel setup for both...?

In order to be able to do that, you'd have to have your rigger reels seriously underfilled to begin with or you'd never be able to reel all the core onto the reel. Lead core takes up a lot of space on a reel.

2 colors is the most common and if you think about it, I'm not sure you'd want much more than that. 2 colors is 60 feet add a 20' leader and some backing before you clip it into the release and you are already around 100' behind the ball.

Tim