Author Topic: big fish on small boards  (Read 5805 times)

wavemaster

big fish on small boards
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
Over the weekend we had a big king hit a flat line rod back 250 feet on a offshore tackle board. The fish ran out 500 feet, broke the surface and ran under pulling the board under the water. When the board finally came up the fish was gone. The hooks and split rings were bent. I did slow the boat to try and get the board up with no luck. What should we have done in this situation?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

steve

big fish on small boards
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
open your bail, keep your thumb on your line to avoid backlash, and give it free spool until the board pops back up.

ways to prevent that from happening is use 9' rods or longer, as the higher your rod tip, the less chance of it happening.

on my boat, I have my anglers stand on top of my casting deck, which gives another 30" or so of height.

when the board "dives" your likely going to loose the fish, as you experienced. so open your bail and let it pop up. if the fish is still on, thank the fish gawds.

that is the reason i don't use normal inlines for copper...once the fish hits, after the weight of the copper, the boards go under immediatly...loosing your big fish.

hope this helps.

troutguy

big fish on small boards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »
It happens all the time on big kings.

Point your rod tip straight and let the board fight the fish and let him take drag. Just pulling that board around tires them out so no need to give them the gears thinking the board will come back up.. Once it comes back up you can fight the fish again like normal.

I love it when the board sinks  :)  means you got something worth while on the other end. Once you get the hang of it you will rarely loose fish that sink the inline

steve

big fish on small boards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »
cool, i'll give that a shot next time troutguy!

barts

big fish on small boards
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:00 pm »
I also point the rod right at the board aswell learned that last year and it works great.

Trophy J

big fish on small boards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »
Anyone had a TX44 "submarine" on them from mr or mrs king salmon?

spirit

big fish on small boards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »

Anyone had a TX44 "submarine" on them from mr or mrs king salmon?

Yes....but not for long.  As you said, when the board disappears just relax and let the fish take line and keep light tension on the fish.  Soon he will tire of the copper or core and the board pulling his head around and your board (and fish) will surface.
No different than "Quint" putting two barrels into "mr. Great White" in JAWS.   :o

rodsquad

big fish on small boards
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:00 pm »
I was driving for Wavemaster and it was a good King.  He fought valiantly but that King didn't want to see the net!  Next time...I hope.

thanks for the advice