Author Topic: Pen Project 10th Anniversary  (Read 3618 times)

Trannyman

• Full Box
Pen Project 10th Anniversary
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:04 am »
Post by trannyman on 3/23/2012 at 3:32am

Well guys it just seems like yesterday that we started the project but actually it has been 10 years. CLOSA has reared and imprinted over 200,000 kings in that period. I would like to thank all the club members and community volunteers that have taken time out of their busy schedules to devote a little time to feeding the fry.

This year we will be receiving the fry on April 3rd and if anyone in the area would like to see the delivery, drop by the government docks at Brighton or Wellington. Delivery time has not been confirmed yet but I would bet on early afternoon.

The first pen to hit the water in Ontario in April 2003.

Now groups have pens at Oshawa, Port Darlington, Whitby, Bluffer's, Port Credit and Port Dalhousie. All together Ontario will be raising 122,000 fry in pens this spring. That is 22% of the stocking allotment, simply awesome. Great job guys.

On a side note: over the years we have seen more and more club members release shakers as they want to see them become adults and return home in the fall. A bonus that we didn't expect to see happen.

Al

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

rocketman

• 30 Pounder
Re: Pen Project 10th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:04 am »
With all this warm weather, & increasing water temps, will this affect this year's stocking program ? Just curious, as warm water temps have sometimes been an issue. I hope not, as you've done an excellent job over the years Al, & without all the volunteers, this would not have been possible. My hat's off to all those that have helped, & with some help from Mother Nature, this year should be even better. It puts a new meaning to " You reap what you sow "

Bruce

• Administrator
  • Shaker
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:59:42 am »
Post by noreelworries on 3/23/2012 at 9:02am

Congrats to Al and CLOSA for getting it all started 10 yrs ago. Whitby is now into yr 5 and the Whitby fry will be arriving Sat March 31 at 1:30.

So many Chinook came into the Whitby harbour last fall that they could be seen jumping in the harbour from the beginning of Sept until end of Oct. We had pier fisherman join our volunteer ranks this spring because of the success they had last fall fishing from the pier and want to help. One guy caught 13 from the pier last season and every time I went down to check out the harbour there were at least a dozen people trying their luck.... Pretty cool. Any of you folks around Jordan should try to get organized and get a pen going for the fish stocked there.

Whitby Pen

Bruce

• Administrator
  • Shaker
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:00:08 am »
Post by trannyman on 3/23/2012 at 9:57am

Thanks Bruce, I'll correct that typo error.   

Al

Bruce

• Administrator
  • Shaker
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:00:51 am »
Post by timeonthewater on 4/2/2012 at 10:14am

Do we have a time yet?

Bruce

• Administrator
  • Shaker
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:16 am »
Post by trannyman on 4/2/2012 at 12:33pm

Yes, the time was confirmed about 1/2 hour ago.

The truck will arrive at the Brighton site at approx. 1 pm.

The truck will arrive at Wellington at 2:15 pm tomorrow.

If anyone in the area is interested please stop by.

Al

Bruce

• Administrator
  • Shaker
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:39 am »
Post by timeonthewater on 4/2/2012 at 12:52pm

Thanks Trannyman
I'll be driving from Orillia so just wanted to be sure I got there in time.