Author Topic: Magnum Dipsey.How deep will they go??  (Read 18652 times)

mikemongan

• Shaker
Magnum Dipsey.How deep will they go??
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:44:25 am »
WE run 30lb 7 strand wire on all our diver rods.Pretty much have run all #1 dipseys for many years. We've experienced good Kings deeper then ever for this early in the year. I was told mag dipseys with wire get down to 100 to 150fow no problem.So how deep will they go? Say on a 2 or 3 setting how much wire out to reach 100,120 130, 140, 150 fow??? The chart that comes with them is useless,its based on 20lb mono !!??!!. May 1st we had a great day all rods caught fish till the slow down about noon.Riggers good at 70,80.90 #1 divers out 160 to 180 on #2 setting. Watching graph, down temp etc. decided to try rigger down 120.Didn't even check temp.Less then 5 minutes deep rigger fires with big king,drop another rig to  120 it fires in couple minutes. 3 nice Kings came quick from rigs with spoons down 120.Temp at 120 was 43.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Rodney King

• 30 Pounder
Re: Magnum Dipsey.How deep will they go??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:31 am »
Here is a summary table....

Where:

First Column is depth
D = Regular Dipsey
M = Magnum Dipsey
B = Braid
W = Wire
1 = Setting 1
2 = Setting 2
3 = Setting 3

And the numbers in the table are the amount of line out.

Hope that helps.

mikemongan

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:54 am »
Nice chart.I'll be printing that.Curious where did it come from? Or did you create it yourself?Anyhow,Thankyou!

Rodney King

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »
Mostly from the Precision Trolling book, with some interpolation.....

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:24 pm »
Rodney that looks about right.

I figure you need about 300 feet of line out to hit 120 feet.
After this, way too much line out, becomes impractical.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

chadk

• Where skunks are not welcome
  • Full Box
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:57:09 pm »
You really are not going to get below 115' unless you troll 1-1.5 mph.  No ring, set on a 1 setting with flasher/fly at approx. 2.4 mph will tap bottom at 112' with 350-400' of wire out.  After 350', the diver maxes out due to drag of the wire.  You could go deeper with 20lb wire, but a lot of pressure on that light wire with a mag dipsy/flasher.  My best guess would be with #20 wire/mag dipsy with a spoon at 2 mph could reach 130'?  Too expensive to risk for me, I will stick with 30lb wire.
Boat name:   Gill-T Hooker

gtim

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:26 am »
Here is a summary table....

Where:

First Column is depth
D = Regular Dipsey
M = Magnum Dipsey
B = Braid
W = Wire
1 = Setting 1
2 = Setting 2
3 = Setting 3

And the numbers in the table are the amount of line out.

Hope that helps.

Huge thanks for sharing this chart. I know this thread is a couple of years old but I do have a question: 

Are these numbers with or without the rings on the Dipsy's.  The reason I ask is that I would have expected to use less line for the same depth vs mono, but this chart is definitely showing more line vs the "with ring" mono numbers.  For example, the chart that comes with the #1 Dipsy on the "1" setting shows 140 of line out for 60 ft of depth.  The chart above shows 150 ft of line out for braid at the same depth when I would have expected it to be less line out for the 30# braid mentioned in the post that started the thread.  The only way I can reconcile the difference is 1) The chart shipped with the Dipsy is total garbage or 2) Your chart is the #1 Dipsy without the ring which makes more sense with 168 ft of line out for mono without the ring.

"What The Hook?"

HooknRelease

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:46 am »
you can take a diver deeper by using the Torpedo deep sea divers and achieve depths over 200 feet with 500 feet of wire out with their systems http://www.torpedodivers.com/deepseadivers.asp

cheers

ian