Author Topic: King Of The Lake Spring and Fall  (Read 57329 times)

steve

• Full Box
  • Fishing 4 Fun since Day 1
Re: King Of The Lake Spring and Fall
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2012, 06:59:19 pm »
I can't add much to this, as I've never done a tournament of this size or nature - however, RM's points, each and every one, I echo 100%.

He understands the small boaters plight.

I'd enter if the rules allowed 8 rods - sure. absolutely.

6 rods is enough to catch a good bag.

you must allow "morning of" enteries, or at the least, day before enteries.

great thread all!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

knotreel

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2012, 09:35:13 pm »
If you are looking for new blood, consider two tiers based on size of boat.  Can't picture four people in an 18' lund in 3-5' waves trying to run eight rods.  Tier #1 for boats 25' or larger.  Higher entry fee, bigger payout.  Eight rods.  Tier #2 for boats smaller than 25'.  Lower entry fee, smaller payout and six rods.  If someone wants to run their 18' boat with the big boys....let them.  Nice to have a choice.
I run both a 26' boat and a 20' boat, my set up and spread is the same on both, I think the number of people is more the issue, 4 can be tight on a smaller boat. Does 2 toss really make much of a difference? The only time I run 8 rods is when the bite is really slow.

EJW88

• Shaker
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »
I personally think the 8 rod rule is not a problem. We have never fished with more then 3 people on our team and running six rods compared to eight never made us feel at a disadvantage. We fish out a smaller boat and on rough days it does suck, but we still feel we are competitive. On flat days though we can be ahead of the whole pack running to our spot. As others have said keep it a two day tournament. I think that keeps it more competitive, having to put together two good days of fishing is more fun in my opinion.

I do agree with others that updates need to be worked on and I am glad it is being addressed. The lower entry fee is nice feature to add for next year and it should be bring more teams in. As far as the Calcutta feature with two different pots, if it helps bring in more teams as well go for it. 

getitwet

• Full Box
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:28 am »
Now that most of the conversation has slowed down on individual tourneys here are a few other options

Overall?  2 st catharines tournies mandatory and 1 tightlines -

2 st catharines tournies mandatory and the same as last year-

2 st catharines tournies mandatory and both tight lines -

2 st catharnes tournies, another 2 day in the US (olcott, sodus, rochester ???) and 2 of the one day tourney

Or if you have any suggestions let me know. 

If you are a team that hasnt fish and wish to please tell us what is holding you back from the overall.  There are many teams that can compete in this and it would be great to see more teams.

A-TOM-MIK

• Full Box
    • www.atommiktrollingflies.com
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2012, 10:49:27 am »
I vote for a new tourney in Sodus, great place !!!

Yankee Troller

• Crazy Yankee Sportfishing
  • Full Box
  • If it aint chrome we don't condone!
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »
I like the Spring/Fall St. Cathy and the three one day shootouts.

getitwet

• Full Box
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
If sodus,
What time of yr?
Would July or Aug be better

Yankee Troller

• Full Box
  • If it aint chrome we don't condone!
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2012, 02:46:10 pm »
I think it's a waste to go to Sodus. You know how hard it is to get Canadians to cross the border. Let alone 90+ miles across it. It's just as hard to get Americans to cross the border.  Keep the 5 series format you have. It offers three different formats in three ports.

Not to mention no one wants to go all the way down there to twiddle their thumbs! Fishing there for the Pro Ams for a few years 1 out of every 3 is a Salmon bite. For someone, especially a Canadian team, to invest that much to travel that far the fishing better be damn good!

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:08 pm »
Well I think that for any of the canadian guys we would all rather all canadian dates and the american guys would probably love all american events.  Your never going to make everyone happy.  I am really looking forward to the spring event in st. catherines. After that we are on the trailer so where ever they are we will be there.  A Bronte or perhaps Credit event might be a good option mid way through summer. 

darkfisher

• Full Box
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2012, 05:09:12 pm »
I second the Bronte/Credit idea.  This doesn't apply to everyone I know but I have kids in sports and a Nurse wife that works weird shifts.  The only thing that holds us back from the overall  would be staying out of town.  I like Tourneys I can drive home from at the end of the day.  Wilson to theCredit is good with me.

knotreel

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2012, 06:06:51 pm »
I think the chances of having it out of credit would be a lot higher than Bronte, a venue in that area would definatly be nice!

getitwet

• Full Box
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:06 pm »
I would love Credit or Bronte. 

Again What time of yr?

We had credit in the fall for 5 yrs and it was a poor draw.  one yr we had 16 boats! 

There is a tourney in that area in June and July.  I think the only time would be mid aug or so.

What R your thoughts?

Yankee, I agree that the format works but.  2 teams used the wilson scores out of the crew because fish are smaller that time of yr.  Really doesnt help exept if mandatory.  2 guys Get It Wet and Vision Quest because they didnt fish tightlines.  What I am saying i guess his the Wilson tournament had no affect on the scores and we would have loved it to be

One Option is
both St catharines, Wilson (mandatory) and one tightlines

Just thoughts out loud at this point

A-TOM-MIK

• Full Box
    • www.atommiktrollingflies.com
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 07:08:58 pm »
Yvan, Again great idea getting input this far in advance:

As much as you are looking for info pertaining to your KOTL individual events as this thread started out and also now looking for info pertaining to your "Over-all" keep in mind your "targeted" field of each. Namely your past entries

If you want input you almost have to cater to each on their own, targeting each's crowd, meaning you can accept all the input in the world from many, as al input is good, but is it fair to change a structure from input form those who don't regularly play. Exactly what happened to the Oswego Pro/Am, they changed the rules right out from underneath us and then were surprised when they had no entrants a few short years down the road.

Take your past over-all series for example, you have had approx. 15 to 18 over-all teams in past years, it seems you would look to them first for input as they have already created the startings of what you are trying to capitalize on. Just taking last years over-all teams, you have almost half of them who have all came as far as Oswego to compete in the past. With that said you could host your "series" almost anywhere and get those core teams no matter what

Sodus being 20 miles closer than Oswego could turnout to be a great venue, or even treat it as that optional event? I would say mid August

Just thoughts

Rick: Don't be surprised at the early Tightlines in 2013, it may not be the crush fest you may anticipate, each venue has ups and downs, not really fair to opt out a certain area due to a few bad showings, heck I always detested Orleans!!!! Other than Niagara events I have fished every event on the lake and recall each a struggle in different years.

With the Sodus Pro/Am maintaining an honorable showing even through tough times and poorly structured rules says a little something about the area

Even though my all time favorite place is O-Town you can't dislike the Sodus setting: "Looking at what makes the world go around" makes Sodus very attractive, pubs, atmosphere, live bands and entertainment, eateries, sweet views...... (: and all within walking distance, heck I realize your ready for bed at 8pm but most of us are ready to soil our wild oats !!! Dam I want to stay their for 2 weeks next season. I have been there for 5 seasons, there were Kings every time and to date still holds the all time Pro/Am records for weight in a 24/fish 2 day event, this comparing all 4 events into consideration, that weight wasn't made up from anything but most of our favorite species....the KING

Tom   

Trannyman

• Full Box
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2012, 07:49:53 am »
If you add another Canadian tournament that might favour the Ontario side.

I think what would make it fare to guys on both sides of the lake would be to add the ATOMMIK Invitational to the one day shootout format. For the Overall KOTL the two St Catharine 2 day events manditory and the 2 best of the 4 one day shootouts. Then the U.S. teams would have 2 and the Ontario teams would have 2 to compete in without crossing the Lake.

Just a thought.
  Al

P.S. Sodus, sounds interesting. 8) 8) ;) ;)

getitwet

• Full Box
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2012, 10:01:40 am »
Tom,

I have put a lot of thought into this and yes at the end of the suggestions prior to getting the decisions done i will address the overall group.  The most important voice is our costumers that we have but we always wnat to get this group bigger.

a US tournament is interesting but difficult to get done due to the politics of each port.  I also would like to see something in Olcott, Wilson, sodus, Rochester

Just thoughts