Author Topic: King Of The Lake Spring and Fall  (Read 57317 times)

chadk

• Where skunks are not welcome
  • Full Box
Re: King Of The Lake Spring and Fall
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »
Fishing usually good at Olcott, but the amenities are horrible.  Considering the Canadian teams would be most likely driving their boats to port in order to compete.....with no car.....they would have limited access to places to stay, only one place to eat and NO gas station around to get munchies.  Olcott is a bad choice IMO.  Now Sodus.......that is a fun town.  Nice beach.  Nice amenities.  Chimney Bluffs State Park is something you might see only out west in National Parks......etc.   
Boat name:   Gill-T Hooker

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Yankee Troller

• Crazy Yankee Sportfishing
  • Full Box
  • If it aint chrome we don't condone!
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 10:12:08 am »
Considering the Canadian teams would be most likely driving their boats to port in order to compete.....with no car.....they would have limited access to places to stay, only one place to eat and NO gas station around to get munchies.

We do this 4 times a yr. It's why we bought the 10 Meter. 4-5 guys live on her for the weekend when we go to Canada. Cool Canadians like our Observers, and Karl C have made it nice by bringing us things like Tim Hortons in the morning.

However, many people can't do this, and it does make it tough.

Yvan - toss out the WHI points then. You can have your 4 Canadian events to accumulate points, and if someone wants to fish American events there will always be at least the West end Pro Ams. I bet you'd pick up a few Canadian teams in the overall that aren't able to get in the US.  ;D  I can guarantee you wont pick up any American teams in the overall by adding one US tourney.

Reel It Up

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2012, 11:22:41 am »
Maybe consider a late registration lottery of sorts, you could do it  at the captains meeting and  announce some late entry's, maybe some small boats/teams may consider throwing their names into the hat. Kinda like you did this fall, but advertise that there will be some last minute entry's awarded and cap it.

visionquest

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2012, 07:05:28 pm »
Yvan,

I like the Spring and Fall in St. Kittys (2) required total

WHI (1) or (1) from Sodus (if it happens??) or A-TOM-MIK invitational: choose (1)

Pick one of the Tite Lines (1) not everyone can do both perhaps and keep it a choice. Choose (1)

So, a team can fish a maximum of 6 events and they can choose their best (4) showings with the spring/Fall in ST. Kittys mandatory.
That allows some schedule flexibility for everyone and a good mix of Ports to choose from

Make all of the one day events 6 fish like they are and keep your 2-day events at 5 or chnage to 6 fish per day events.

Capt. Pete
Vision Quest

Trannyman

• Full Box
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2012, 03:44:39 am »
I agree with Pete. Very fare to anglers on both sides of the Lake.

Al
Team Rockets

Yankee Troller

• Full Box
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2012, 08:03:07 am »
Yvan,

I like the Spring and Fall in St. Kittys (2) required total

WHI (1) or (1) from Sodus (if it happens??) or A-TOM-MIK invitational: choose (1)

Pick one of the Tite Lines (1) not everyone can do both perhaps and keep it a choice. Choose (1)

So, a team can fish a maximum of 6 events and they can choose their best (4) showings with the spring/Fall in ST. Kittys mandatory.
That allows some schedule flexibility for everyone and a good mix of Ports to choose from

Make all of the one day events 6 fish like they are and keep your 2-day events at 5 or chnage to 6 fish per day events.

Capt. Pete
Vision Quest

Pete....if you were to do this then wouldn't you have to go to a points system to make it fair? Different class fish and size of fish at all those one days would skew the weights. So someone who picks the "right" ports could take the cup. 

Oh yea, thanks for ignoring my phone call a few weeks back and not calling me back!  ;D

salmonella

• Smolt
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »
Does anyone know when the deposit is due for the June Tight Lines? We want to make sure we don't miss the date. Thanks.

Digby

• 30 Pounder
King Of The Lake Spring and Fall
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »
Was told no deposit moving forward. Paid in full upfront!
Team King Kongs

visionquest

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »
Rick,

LOL, I was fighting a fish when you called me.  You did not leave a message to call you back so I wondered if it was an accidental call or ? (then I forgot)

Good point on the adoption of a point system vs. a collective weight system.  I did not address that in my post but agree that a point system would "level" it out esp. when considering  a team may be only able to fish a June T.L. event and a WHI event vs. the latter Aug. T.L. and proposed summer event.  Fish should be larger and would provide an advantage.  If it goes to a point system, I would hope it is a simple one. Excellent thought.

Capt. Pete
Vision Quest 

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2012, 02:36:11 am »
Maybe only a full box average over the top 4 events

Yankee Troller

• Full Box
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 07:52:32 am »
Rick,

LOL, I was fighting a fish when you called me.  You did not leave a message to call you back so I wondered if it was an accidental call or ? (then I forgot)

Good point on the adoption of a point system vs. a collective weight system.  I did not address that in my post but agree that a point system would "level" it out esp. when considering  a team may be only able to fish a June T.L. event and a WHI event vs. the latter Aug. T.L. and proposed summer event.  Fish should be larger and would provide an advantage.  If it goes to a point system, I would hope it is a simple one. Excellent thought.

Capt. Pete
Vision Quest

Whatever dude! I'm coming to your seminar and steeling all your secrets to use against you!

thrillseeker

• Shaker
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2012, 03:28:42 pm »
Great thread. Our team would like to see the 2 day result payout the major prizes, but have a decent cash prize for "Big Box" each day. What this does is keeps an unfortunate team(DQ-breakdown, family emergency, ect) "in the game". I think in 2008, there was a $1500 big box prize each day. If a newer team has a big day but doesn't make the money, this will bring them back again and encourage them to compete. If a team beats the field both days, they will deservedly pad their 1st place winnings.
As mentioned in several threads, awards ceremonies are important, especially when a newer team cracks the top ten. Yes, everyone's in a hurry to get "outta dodge", but teams don't deserve a "bum rush" while the stage is being torn down. The sponsors appreciate a bigger deal as well. Perhaps looking at fishing Fri/Sat(with Sun only used as blow day) could make a Sat afternoon awards less rushed, and also lessen the chance of a "one dayer" or complete wipeout. The big fish prizes could be run during the event. This would make the teams happy that don't like to "show their hand" a day early, and also prevent many fish from being harvested just for the big fish prize. Something to consider.
Whatever the fleet wants as for format, 5,6,12 fish is fine with us. A two day format is superior in crowning a winner.
However it is decided the KOTL scores will be determined, it needs to be done soon, as well as setting the dates. Thanks for soliciting the players input.     

darkfisher

• Full Box
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »
Well said Thrillseeker.  Sounds great.

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2012, 05:55:25 am »
The dates would be awesome, We have some guys with long term work schedules that need to take it off.  And I have a wife who wants to vacation and I wont let her book till the dates come out...lol. 

Witching Hour

• Full Box
    • Witching Hour
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:16 am »
...but have a decent cash prize for "Big Box" each day. What this does is keeps an unfortunate team(DQ-breakdown, family emergency, ect) "in the game".

Love it Thrillseeker!
First thing that came to mind for me there was Team Pressman last spring. Day 1 not to be / Day 2 amazing!
A team could '$hit the bed' / breakdown on day 1, and come in day 2 with their heads held high! Might give a team more hope for day 2 instead of walking away on day 1 to the whisky bar! LOL.

On a side note: I personally love everything about the format of the 333. Weighing only 3 of the biggest fish for day 1 and 2 (5 might be better but another topic). I think what I like so much is that element of 'what are we going to do' for day 1 ... weigh 1/2/or all fish in ... don't weigh any in (go for broke on day 2) ... the teams all seem to come together to make the decision ... really makes the day 2 interesting. Potentially helps the stocks too ... reduce kill ratio.

I think the KOTL series could benefit tremendously by a media element (like the 333). That exposure took that tournament fishing scene to a whole other level. And Lake Ontario is IMO a better fishery. A camera crew could be on some featured boats + weigh ins. It would certainly sky rocket the tournament sponsorship/exposure. A friend of mine is an independant producer/movie maker/camera guy (http://russdejong.com/). All it would take is a guy like this (with the gear/experience) ... not sure how the business works but he may consider doing the work for for free with hopes of it going onto say WFN/the KOTL site/ect for commisson.
Lake Ontario : our world class fishery 🐟