Author Topic: Spin doctor and flies  (Read 21131 times)

Pescado

• 30 Pounder
  • Keeping it Reel!
Spin doctor and flies
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »
Hello All,

I am new to salmon fishing and i'm slowly buying tackle and gear to rig my new boat. In regards to tackle i'm quite sure that this year i will only be running four dipsy lines as down riggers are outside of this years budget. I'd like to have a little bit of everything available when it comes to lures. I purchased a variety of spoons and some flies, my question is what size spin doctor is best when presenting a fly? i noticed two sizes at the local Sail store. Also maybe i should use something else instead of a spin doctor, maybe a flasher or dodger? One more thing that concerns me is weather or not i should use snubbers on my lines, i will be using wire FYI.

Please help!
Pescado out!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

rochanator

• 24 Pounder
Spin doctor and flies
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:45:33 pm »
8 inch flashers are great with the fly. And the snubber I really don't think you need it depending how loose your drag is on your reel. I bought some snubbers and I really didn't use them.

knotreel

• 30 Pounder
Re: Spin doctor and flies
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:35:11 am »
I use snubbers, and think they are a good idea with wire (wire has no stretch, without a snubber i would think the hook would rip up the fishes mouth more resulting in it getting off).
As for dodgers and flashers, it's good to have a mixture I have boated a lot of fish on a silver dodger. Dodgers and flashers create different action in the water and on your bait. Somedays fish like the action of the dodger, other days it's that of the flasher!
Having a variety is good!

JustinB777

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:14:02 pm »
Add a few Michigan stinger pro troll flashers to ur arsenal I prefer them over doctors

Fish-awn

• 30 Pounder
  • Screemin Reelz Sportfishing
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:38:50 am »
I use 8" spinnys with the flys and move up to the 10" whenusing meat, just my preference i guess.  I have snubbers but have not used them, just make sure if u r not gonna use them your drag is set just perfect.  i havenet had any problems as of yet
Screemin Reelz Sportfishing Charters

fishtales23

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »
for what is worth, during may & june we use the 6" spin doctors and switch up to the 8" during July and August...we have great success with the following patterns; chrome frog, blue dolphin and the most favourite green fish/crush glow...with a black or dark purple dipsy diver...as for the fly...that can be your choice...hope this helps...

Witching Hour

• Full Box
    • Witching Hour
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:59 am »
for what is worth, during may & june we use the 6" spin doctors

bruce:
you use 18" leeds on the 6" spin doctors to fly? i have a bunch of them but haven't experimented much with them during may to be honest. i know some guys in the states that use them with plugs in the spring and fall.
Lake Ontario : our world class fishery 🐟

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:50:44 am »
Get at least one downrigger [manuals work just fine and not expensive depending on what your time is worth ] This year some of my time was on a 26 ft.  $$ray with 2 ?new  Walker electrics  ;I had picked up a manual cheap at a fire sale ; just bolted it on the plate worked so well he just kept it on when the electric came back [kept blowing fuses]  from ? repairs. I told him he could keep it as a spare . Dipsys are not as easy to work as you might think and some days they do not work at all! Forget the snubbers drag set is the biggee for kings . Welcome and happy New Year !

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 11:38:28 am »
You need to visit a store more dedicated to king fishing than Sail. Most Sail stores don't carry the good stuff like Atomik flies. Where are you based, so the guys here can pitch in with some local fishing shop suggestions?

Back to your questions...

I run 4 divers. I've only ever been skunked once.  I admit sometimes dipsies are off the bite but they will still catch fish, just not as much. I've added to planner boards on 6 oz drop weights to keep us busy with fish higher in the water column. Will work great in spring and after big upwellings.

You will need to get the trollers bible with the dispey charts to be accurate, along with rods with accurate reel counters.

You will need a variety of dodgers and spin doctors, as well as spoons and flies.

There's lots of learning to do and it will be fun, but get some books from Captain Dan Keating to learn the fast way, or go on a charter for a day to learn.  I waited 3 years to read Keating on Kings (purchased on this site) and am learning some good stuff, don't know why I waited so long.

Anyhow, Happy New Year everyone, we are now on the right side of Jan 1, the side that heads towards spring fishing.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »
TyeeTanic they work for you because you do it right and you have the proper gear and from what you say lot of experience ! I fish solo a lot [some of my best company !] If I use a dipsy I lose a downrigger and a lure [a staker ] .Not worth it to me unless there is no bite . 

fishtales23

• Shaker
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »
CoastalJ:

we have used 12", 18" & 24" leads and find the 12" lead works best for us. 

we use only Flys in a blue-green colour combination...Atomic Flys work best....Happy New Year

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »
Bruce Fulton you do not say were you fish but if you are not using black and purple you may be missing fish !You do not say if your leads are off downriggers or dipsys :Happy New Year to all but remember "once a king [not salmon ] always a king aways a king but once a knight is enough [at my age ]

fishtales23

• Shaker
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:37:56 am »

Posted by: bruce fulton
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »Insert Quote

for what is worth, during may & june we use the 6" spin doctors and switch up to the 8" during July and August...we have great success with the following patterns; chrome frog, blue dolphin and the most favourite green fish/crush glow...with a black or dark purple dipsy diver...as for the fly...that can be your choice...hope this helps...

Hi drjoe, hope my original entry into this thread clarifies for U...

Regarding the 12" lead, its between the Spin Dr & Fly on the 6" Spin Dr...otherwise we follow all the Spin Dr instructions for setup...and it works for us...i do experiment with the Lead length between the 8" Spin Dr & Fly...have tried 18", 20", 24", 30" and even 36" leads ....18" & 24" seems to work best for us...

we fish out of Bluffers and follow HooknRelease & Emma G around the Lake but mainly avoid the Pack...we always have a good day on the water, lots of fish nothing over 30lbs....and only keep a few for the BBQ.

Question: when using the Dipsy, we always have line creep...beside clamping down the drag, which is not a good idea, whats the best way to eliminate or reduce Line Creep when using Dipsys....thanks in advance...

OUTTALINEagain

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:18 am »
Boat speed and drag tension. 

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:26:50 am »
Ditto  !