Author Topic: King Of The Lake Amateur Division  (Read 63394 times)

barts

• 30 Pounder
Re: King Of The Lake Amateur Division
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 10:43:59 am »
Hey Ivan,
This is my first year fishing these tournies.  I have a 20 ft starcraft Islander. I'm fishing the main event not amature, but I figure in for a penny in for a pound.  I know everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it.  But you are sailing the ship and in the end it's your choice so you do what you think is right.  If people don't like it they can put on there own events any time they feel like it. 
keep up the good job.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

feenom1

• Full Box
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 02:32:37 pm »
The idea is great.  anything to get more people out there the better.  What's the reasoning with calling it amatuer.  I think it's mis-leading.  Also why limit the size of the boat.  It's six rods in the water. 
The one day event will attract a lot of entries.  Good job.

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 03:19:48 pm »
feenom...  Well its funny you ask why i named it amateur.  I gues there was not much reasoning behind it.  In the past I have seen the 444 go with the small boat division and a Pwt pro came in and won it.  Not really what it was intended to do.  If you put amateur to it at least it should be embarrassing for a charter guy that is full time to fish in it or a person that is known around the lake to be on the water 5 days a week to enter the amateur division. 

The other thing is if this thing does grow to where its huge it can become a good platform.  But make no mistake that this has been tried and from the results on entries its never been big for the amount of chat that happens.  Last yr was 24 teams i believe with Gavins and Rob and it was very well Operated. 

I am toying with the idea of capping it at 30 teams.   I think we will go with that this year to see if we could weigh in all 30 in a 30 to 40 min timeframe. 

Boat size has been a great topic so far and really not what I expected it to be.
From Pms and emails i get there are alot of voices telling me to keep the 24 ft range and others with valing points saying 26 because thats the point where boats get wider and a lot different handling.

Either way we decide to go the weather will be based on a 18-19 tinny for safety sake.  It doesn't have to be flat but will not get into a situation for safety reasons and really this is where the big boats will complain. 

My question to the guys with bigger boats wanting to fish the amateur is, With all the costs involved in running the boat over from where you are, why not spend an extra 100 per guy and you have 2 days to compete and more chances to win your money back.  I would think fuel and docking costs will be more than what you win at best of times. 

riggermortis

• Full Box
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 04:20:05 pm »
Call it whatever you like am or small boat I bet 80% of the entries will be guys that fish all the time and have for yrs. much like the one Gav and Rob put on last yr. otherwise there would be next to no one there. If you don't want expierienced guys to sign up that have small boats who else is there?

I love the idea and the rules you've layed out but should we be embaressed to show up in our tin cans and try win if we fish a lot?

OUTTALINEagain

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:00 pm »
All I want to add to this is this...   For all the guys that consider themselves "fence sitters"
There is nothing to be nervous about.   Anyone can do well!!!  All you need to do is try it.    It's a amazing time!!  Dock your boat at the marina, you will meet a ton of awesome people/competitors. You will make friendships with some of the best on the lake,,   And if you present yourself right and ask the right questions. These guys will help you!!
So get a few buddies together and enter!!!   You will love it. 
PRICELESS in my opinion.     

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »
Get it wet, you finished with a question.

Are you talking about moving into the two day PRO event?

I wouldn't think paying another $100 per peron for the two day would be a problem if it was an amateur event. Sorry, I haven't had time to read up on everything and may be asking a stupid question.  But the main attraction is an amateur event to have a chance to be in the completion. It's always more fun when you have a fighting chance. So assuming the two day is an amateur event the extra change is really a non issue considering the rest of the costs.

And yes I agree a big boat could be defined bigger than 26' just going on beam where the real jump is generally from 8.5 to 10' up from that length.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

redneckjoe

• Shaker
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »
this will be my second year fishing the big O and Ive been lookin for a way to get my feet wet and compete Im in for sure !!

JustinB777

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 07:44:56 am »
Good job yvan this will be my third year fishing your tournies and I commend you for Putting in a lot of effort to I'm prove the tournies I can't wait to see how this am division turns out

See ya in the spring
JB

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »
Yvan maybe a stupid question, but me and my group will gamble on just about anything so could we sign up for both divisions?  Weigh our top 3 ( if we gettem)  in the am div and the rest of the box including the 3 already weighed in the other?  if you don't have 30 boats its not a bad opion?

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »
Oh and we are for sure amateurs, but why not?

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 12:26:25 am »
This is a great question and I thought about it and no this would turn into a Calcutta 

With the calcuttas we have on sat and sun there should be plenty to go around.
Plus we have riggers and some other good things to raffle off as well

I'm thinking of running a 20 or? elimination draw on sat after way in
If we got enough teams to do it it would take 20 min but what a blast

steve

• Full Box
  • Fishing 4 Fun since Day 1
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »
barts, you would be restricted to a six rod spread.

wouldn't that put you in a disadvantage in the big boat tournie?

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 03:12:03 pm »
Steve I'm only running 6 rods regardless.  I think I have heard you say "Less is more"  lol  we only have a 3 man team so that is all we can run on our side anyhow. 
barts

steve

• Full Box
  • Fishing 4 Fun since Day 1
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 06:33:51 pm »
hey man, i agree fully. 100%

but most "big boats" feel their advantage is in number of rods ... which of course isn't true ... but its refreshing to hear none the less.

soon my friend, soon.

barts

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 09:55:10 am »
Ya steve I can't wait.  I can run 8 rods off my boat but just find it's too much.  Even 6 in less than ideal circumstances can be a pain in the ass.