Author Topic: King Of The Lake Amateur Division  (Read 63401 times)

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
King Of The Lake Amateur Division
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:15:41 am »
I am pleased and excited to announce the first ever Am division to our Spring and Fall events.

We have had extensive discussions about this in the past and hopefully this could include some teams that have been on the fence for yrs and create some sort or Farm system to our tournament series.

This Tournament will be on Each Saturday of the Spring and Fall Tournaments.

Saturday April 27, 2013
Saturday Aug 31, 2013

Blow day will be the sunday

1 day Salmon Tournament
3 largest fish
3 Anglers max
24ft boat or less
6 rods max per boat
6am start
2pm in the pierheads
2:30 in line at weigh in
Can register up until the captains meeting or online when we launch new website
**All am teams will weigh in first and at 3pm the pros will then weigh in
All other rules are the same as the King of The Lake Tournament

This is a great way to participate in our events

$150 entry

Based on 30 teams
1- 2000
2- 1000
3- 500
4- 350
5- 150

Dreamweaver Big Fish Friday is still $50 and you will be able to participate in all of our weekend events including raffles, weigh in show ect...

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

fisher

• Full Box
Re: King Of The Lake Amateur Division
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:18 am »
This all sounds great and we are fence sitters that eventually want to get into the tourney scene on a regular basis. Need the experience and the opportunity, which it now appears the door is open.

That said I do not understand the limit on boat size. What does this have to do with an amateur setup?

Lots of us have bigger boats than your < than 24 foot length and would like to participate.

Hope you can adjust this criteria so that those fisherman that have bigger boats are not exempt.

Mike

OUTTALINEagain

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:02:57 am »
Fisher!!!    Can I ask.
 What is the reasons you and your Friends/team members are "on the fence" about fishing in a KOTL tournent??? 

steve

• Full Box
  • Fishing 4 Fun since Day 1
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:31:32 am »
Blow day will be the sunday   (nice)

1 day Salmon Tournament   (nice)
3 largest fish   (awesome)
3 Anglers max   (makes sense)
24ft boat or less   (with a limit on rods - not sure its necessary)
6 rods max per boat    (great!)
6am start
2pm in the pierheads
2:30 in line at weigh in
Can register up until the captains meeting or online when we launch new website   (when is the captains meeting generally held?)
**All am teams will weigh in first and at 3pm the pros will then weigh in
All other rules are the same as the King of The Lake Tournament

This is a great way to participate in our events    (you are correct!)

$150 entry   (very fair)

WAY TO GO IVAN!

fishdawg

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:16 am »
sounds great Yvan, thanks for putting this together
sounds like a good formatt... especially the late registration option
with good promotion and and if its a decent weather day it should fill up
I understand its not capped at 30 max boats?

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:03 am »
When discussing this, one thing was evident.   In the past there has been many one day tournaments of this style and although it has they have been great for some they dont survive for some reason or another.  A lot of comments that I have heard is the advatages for some guys over others.  Charter guys fishing the amateur, bigger boats are not on same playing field, bigger boats normally have autopilot (not to say small boats don't) ect..  I just thought it would make the weather decision more fair and would really level off the playing field.  It also stops charter and guys that fish pro tourneys from sandbagging with their big rigs.

Hope this makes sense

Hawg - No there isn't any cut offs to number of teams.  We hope to get 50
wouldn't that be great - 70 pros and 50 ams.  Marina would love us lol!!  Seriously though the more the marrier.  I've wanted to do this for a while and I think its time to try it.  Support it and this can be a great avenue for guys to start or somewhere with less pressure.

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:01:22 am »
forgot steve!
hey captains meeting is the friday night at 6pm

This is mandatory for captains.   We go over rules and procedures.  Important specially the first few tournments as we have rules that differ other tournaments for sure.

I want to say that I am open to hear some discussions about some rules relating to this, the boat size rule is somewhat negotiable but not to say we will change it but after listening to arguments about and they make sense why not adjust.  But keep in mind to satisfy 1 person and piss off 15 doesn't work for business.

Hope this works and we still have a lot of time but you will see how fast april comes.

Yvan

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:18:16 am »
So far 24 ft is the only criteria.  We don't have captain licenses here.  but here is my theory. 

If a charter guy sandbags an am tournament in a 3 fish tournament to save his team 400 bucks in entry he is not too much of a charter guy.  I also know some guys that do it as a write off and don't even fish often enough to matter and this is why a 3 fish limit is cool with this as anyone can catch 3 kings to compete.

This is really to get people that have never joined us hopefully bridge the gap and get them involved. 

With all the tournaments going high ticket to enter and the pro ams faltering a little this could very well be a good avenue to set up a farm system to breed new teams.

How many teams will catch 10 kings in their day and think.... I wish I would have fish the pro division!!

Scoring

Instead of changing the world all in one yr we have decided to keep scoring the same way.  you can throw out 1 of the one days but you don't get an extra 10 points for fishing all.  We found last yr was a huge advantage to throw one score out without giving them an extra 10.

We are bringing back some draw prizes as in the past, we have been asked to do that by a lot of people and we are not going to have a beer tent but will have BBQ available with pop and water in a tent as we used to have.

Hope this works

chadk

• Where skunks are not welcome
  • Full Box
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 02:05:34 pm »
As fun as blast offs are, consider staggering the departure times to keep the big boats from swamping the smaller AM vessels.  You will also reduce AM teams from just following the big boats to fish. 
Boat name:   Gill-T Hooker

fisher

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:38:06 pm »
So far 24 ft is the only criteria.  We don't have captain licenses here.  but here is my theory. 

If a charter guy sandbags an am tournament in a 3 fish tournament to save his team 400 bucks in entry he is not too much of a charter guy.  I also know some guys that do it as a write off and don't even fish often enough to matter and this is why a 3 fish limit is cool with this as anyone can catch 3 kings to compete.

This is really to get people that have never joined us hopefully bridge the gap and get them involved. 

With all the tournaments going high ticket to enter and the pro ams faltering a little this could very well be a good avenue to set up a farm system to breed new teams.

How many teams will catch 10 kings in their day and think.... I wish I would have fish the pro division!!

Scoring

Instead of changing the world all in one yr we have decided to keep scoring the same way.  you can throw out 1 of the one days but you don't get an extra 10 points for fishing all.  We found last yr was a huge advantage to throw one score out without giving them an extra 10.

We are bringing back some draw prizes as in the past, we have been asked to do that by a lot of people and we are not going to have a beer tent but will have BBQ available with pop and water in a tent as we used to have.

Hope this works

Thanks for the response, but I am not clear on your answer. There are some charters around that run on 24' or less boats. All of the other criteria in the tourney looks good...3 people, 6 lines etc....
As far as charters sandbagging, I would think that most of you guys in the biz, already knows who the charters/regulars are.
The only advantage I see a big boat has is in real nasty weather, otherwise I am not sure what boat size has to do with competing to fish....you have already established max team members/rods etc....
I have other buds with 26' boats that would probably want to give it a go as well.

Outtalineagain
To answer your question, its for most of the reasons that Yvan has already mentioned in past threads.
Entry fee cost, lack of experience, (only my second year on the lake, although a fisherman for 40 years), but primarily as a bigger boat owner it comes down to budget.
I have a 31 Tiara FB,  with twin 454's, and as most of you guys know, these boats operating costs run anywhere from 60 to 80$ an hour to play on the lake. Combine that with the costs to get to the tourney marina, + fees, + observer etc, etc....Its tough to justify. I have done the math to enter a regular KOTL event, and the money spent to compete would be equal to about 5 or 6 days "regular" fishing time. At this stage I would rather have those 5  or 6 days on the lake just fishing for sport,  than playing in one event.
Mine and my fishing partners lack of experience is another reason....we are still building confidence in our spreads and strategy...we all know how much there is to learn in this sport, lol. All of us are very competitive, but would feel better dropping only 500 or 600.00 to compete and getting our asses kicked than to drop 2K to play ;)

So this new format is very appealing.

I really hope that you will consider lifting the maximum boat length size as it is the only criteria you have in the amateur event that doesnt make sense. I also think this max boat length criteria will limit some other guys like myself, from participating,  and thus reducing your field.

Hope to see the boat length revised so we can get our feet wet....

Mike

Witching Hour

• Full Box
    • Witching Hour
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »
It's a good thing Santa didn't get me that 345 Conquest over the holidays!  ;D   ;D
http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Page.aspx/pageId/29330/pmid/308690/345-Conquest.aspx
Good work.
Lake Ontario : our world class fishery 🐟

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »
fisher i will consider for sure.

I will follow up with your story of a 31 tiara.  And you are 100% about cost to play BUT if you run the boat with 3 people at to fish the amateur bring 2 guys in the big boat and fish 5 people and with this you can win bigger money instead of 2000.  I can also tell you that you will probably spend more than you can win fishing out of a big boat. 

I thought of putting a lot criterias into an amateur division but this will only bring more headaches.  Make No mistake that this division is to enhance our pro division.  This is the only advantage to doing this. 

The other point is this, and it goes with ChadK

Blast off will be either 2 different locations ei: ams on west side of pier and pros on west side  or Pros go at 530am and ams at 600am  half hour stagger.  This will be determined in next few months.  Either way I will not mix both fields because of boat sizes.   

This also throws a wrench into 26-36 foot boats mixed in with 16ft tinnys. 

Hope you understand my point as well

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 05:37:47 pm »
coastal Lol

You would have to fish the overall to show it off!!

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:39:53 pm »
who knows maybe this is start to an am division overall prize too.

Getting ahead of myself!!

Lets start with this yr first.

Yvan

HooknRelease

• Full Box
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 06:51:13 pm »
J i just got in from work, opened your link then shouted the wife im done :) i think i just found my dream girl lol