Author Topic: King Of The Lake Amateur Division  (Read 63415 times)

riggermortis

• Full Box
Re: King Of The Lake Amateur Division
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:20 pm »
Good job Yvan I like the layout but one question what is the launching/docking situation going to be? Do you plan on having someone at the SCGF dock early for boat inspections and a launch from there or does everyone need to be in a slip at the marina in the morning and if so whats the cost?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

exttrimmer

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »
Hey Yvan
What a great idea!. I wish this was available when we first started doing your tournies. I think your cost structure and prizes will bring a bunch of new competitors.

We are going into our 5th season of fishing the individual tournies. We started just doing the local one (whitby) and have expanded our season to include all three, plus the two tightlines for this year. Just have to work on the guys to enter the overall.

I would like to commend you and thank you for bringing forward new ideas and trying to get more people involved in this great fishery we have on Lake Ontario.

Thanks

Do you really need to ask what I do for FUN!!!

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:27 am »
Pleas increase boat size. No major advantage that I can see. Rain doesn't stop a fisherman.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

get it wet

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 01:41:13 am »
Docking?

I know this is something I have to look at and this involves manpower.  I will come back with details as we get closer.  This is new and have to get a lot of things finalized.  Idealistically the ramp and docking to be available for participants but truly a night mare for us.  We will try to accommodate the best we can.  I would love to have all am teams on one finger at the marine say e dock.  Great opportunity to meet people and mingle on Friday and get all your stuff ready.  Personally I would like to see it slipped for the night.  Normal costs are $1 per foot per night.  Minimal for the experience and no hassle in the morning.

I will get back to you on finalization of this later

jimw

• 24 Pounder
    • JimW's FB Page
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 02:16:27 am »
Amateur Division awesome idea!!!

I don't think I am even at the level to be considered an amateur yet. lol

Best of luck with this new format.

JimW

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 07:12:22 am »
Get it Wet stick to the 24 ft. limit ! One of the reasons I have not fished these torneys ; they tend to be big boat events  [I have seen it happen guys will do well on one day but not be able to keep up to the bigger boats when the lake changes ]  Love or hate ex P.M. Jean Cretian , one of his best was " ...if you try to please everyone you please no one ! "   Been boating   [salmon fishing on lake O. longer than most 1984 and every year after ] : If you are looking for numbers clearly a lot more 16 to 24 fters going to be out there . The $$ numbers to run these big boats is never going to be less .  I have seen "high rollers =big boats enter just for the experience and social interaction and not get many fish .

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »
Get it Wet stick to the 24 ft. limit ! One of the reasons I have not fished these torneys ; they tend to be big boat events  [I have seen it happen guys will do well on one day but not be able to keep up to the bigger boats when the lake changes ]  Love or hate ex P.M. Jean Cretian , one of his best was " ...if you try to please everyone you please no one ! "   Been boating   [salmon fishing on lake O. longer than most 1984 and every year after ] : If you are looking for numbers clearly a lot more 16 to 24 fters going to be out there . The $$ numbers to run these big boats is never going to be less .  I have seen "high rollers =big boats enter just for the experience and social interaction and not get many fish .

So I have a 26 ft boat and my boat is too big???

By the same argument, why not have a 20 ft length limit? I'm sure there are many more 14 - 20ft boats than above 20ft. Or better yet why not a 16 ft limit as a 24ft would have an advantage over a 16ft boat again by the same argument. Anyhow my point is what defines a big boat? I would not consider my boat big by any regard.

I am sure anyone with a 24ft boat and smaller will agree to not change in order to cut the competition. But this is supposed to be a competition right?

The way I look at it is there are MANY with boats bigger than 24ft, so you are cutting off much of the clientele.  If you really think it is an advantage to have a bigger boat even with a rod limit then have two boat size classes, even though I personally think this is lack of competition.

baitfish

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 02:37:11 pm »
Are these dates out of Port Dalhouse? Never fished further west then Port Credit and would love the challenge of fishing new water with something on line. (no pun intended).

Baitfish

riggermortis

• Full Box
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 03:28:51 pm »

So I have a 26 ft boat and my boat is too big???

By the same argument, why not have a 20 ft length limit? I'm sure there are many more 14 - 20ft boats than above 20ft. Or better yet why not a 16 ft limit as a 24ft would have an advantage over a 16ft boat again by the same argument. Anyhow my point is what defines a big boat? I would not consider my boat big by any regard.

I am sure anyone with a 24ft boat and smaller will agree to not change in order to cut the competition. But this is supposed to be a competition right?

The way I look at it is there are MANY with boats bigger than 24ft, so you are cutting off much of the clientele.  If you really think it is an advantage to have a bigger boat even with a rod limit then have two boat size classes, even though I personally think this is lack of competition.

Maybe you should start a poll :D :D :D

fishdawg

• Full Box
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »
LMFAO!

in all sincerity though, under the proposed format, and in ideal (safe) conditions I would be very comfortable competing against 30 ft boats in my 16 ft/30hp rig

lets give Yvan a break for a bit on this to figure out the little logistical details and get winter behind us

HooknRelease

• Full Box
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »
/\ /\ /\ what he said pmsl :)

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »

Fishdawg "in all sincerity though " I will consitently outfish the "30 fters " in my 16 ft. 70 hp. &  8hp kicker  al. tinny on a flat lake or a good breeze [west is best ,north the fish come with open mouths , south can get spooky real quick on the south shore as I have previosly posted on the south shore and as everyone should know east is least !] .The problem is when the wind picks up the kicker won't hold in the wind , with all the freeboard in a tinny you become at the mercy of the wind  ; by the time the  "30 fts " have the problem we are at the boat ramp or bailing [no fun! ]

Remember guys this is the www not a pool room ! Derogetory deminuatives such as pmsl or LMFAO tarnish the image of the site .

dwc67

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »
Derogetory deminuatives  or not, rm that was freakin funny.

15kmh or less from any direction but east and i am fishing this in my kayak

EpicSportfishing

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:02 pm »

Fishdawg "in all sincerity though " I will consitently outfish the "30 fters " in my 16 ft. 70 hp. &  8hp kicker  al. tinny on a flat lake or a good breeze [west is best ,north the fish come with open mouths , south can get spooky real quick on the south shore as I have previosly posted on the south shore and as everyone should know east is least !] .The problem is when the wind picks up the kicker won't hold in the wind , with all the freeboard in a tinny you become at the mercy of the wind  ; by the time the  "30 fts " have the problem we are at the boat ramp or bailing [no fun! ]

Remember guys this is the www not a pool room ! Derogetory deminuatives such as pmsl or LMFAO tarnish the image of the site .

Everyone can "Outfish" the 30ftrs until they try and do it during a tournament

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 11:33:11 pm »
So I guess no poll is needed rm. Most seem to be saying they have no problem competing against 30 foot boats. ;) ;).