Author Topic: Just starting out.. What to buy?  (Read 8887 times)

trophycraft

• 30 Pounder
  • Kevin
Just starting out.. What to buy?
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »
Hey Guys, I've been Salmon Fishing for a few years now but would like to add two Dipsy rigs this year. I have a 16 foot Princecraft with a narrow beam so I need good separation. I currently run two Big John downriggers but usually have 2 guys on the boat so I can add two more lines. I was up at LeBaron's and they have a Dipsy rod and reel combo for about a hundred dollars. I fish mostly in July and August when the water fleas are a problem. I'm looking for something on the inexpensive side. What specifically would you suggest for running a diver in regard to  rod, reel and type of line? Kevin

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Tailsupsportfishing

• 30 Pounder
  • Tails Up Sportfishing
Re: Just starting out.. What to buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:18:07 pm »
I run the same time of year and I really like okuma 9' rod and their cold water series reel the only line I use in lake O is flea flicker and never had an issue

BigD

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:21:09 pm »
Hey Dude,
I don't use them but IMO the best bang for the buck is likely a pair of Okuma Convector 45 line counter reels with Okuma classic pro dipsy rods and replace tips with a twilli and spool it with wire. That will suit your needs and be cost effective but give you some quality.
Buy the 10 ft model and add some inexpensive salty rod holders to the side hook up some dipsys and rock and roll!

D.

Fish-awn

• 30 Pounder
  • Screemin Reelz Sportfishing
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:36:07 pm »
X2 on the Okuma set up.  I use concector 30 reel and 10ft okuma dipsey rod with twilly added to end. 1000ft of wire fits nicely on 30 series convecter. Best bang for ur buck if cost is a factor
Screemin Reelz Sportfishing Charters

trophycraft

• 30 Pounder
  • Kevin
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:07:34 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. Going shopping! Kevin

trophycraft

• 30 Pounder
  • Kevin
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:51:54 pm »
I went shopping and I'm all set up for running Dipsys. I bought pretty much what was reccomended. I bought two Okuma Convector 30s, two Okuma classic pro rods and replaced the tips with twilli's, spooled them both up with 75' of backing and 1000' of 7 strand wire. Got a couple dipsys & spin doctors and flies along with a couple of salty rod holders. It was about $600.00 to get set up. I hope to get some time soon to try them out. Thanks again for all your suggestions here and by private message. Kevin :)

riggerrob

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 11:48:12 am »
You will never look back buying wire dipsy's.  Fishing solo above 110', my riggers are collecting spider webs.  Fishing on Big Foot's boat, I just love his Salties for holding wire dipsy's.

trophycraft

• 30 Pounder
  • Kevin
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »
So it' been just over a month since I bought my new Dipsy rods, reels, holders and accessories (Sd's flies ect) and I've easily double the number of fish I'm catching and it's not just the number of fish but the size too. More often that not, when hook one on the Dipsy rod, it's a big King and words can't fairly describe how much fun it is to reel in one of those big mama's on a wire loaded Dipsy rod. WoooHooo ... Money well spent! Thanks again to all of you who offered suggestions as to what to buy! If you're reading this and considering adding Dipsy rods to your collections. Don't wait another day. It cost me $600.00 to get started for two rigs and I'm being paid back every time I go out on the lake!

Tight lines everyone, Kevin

horsehunter

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 08:09:59 am »
Everyone likes a good news story  :clap:
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water.

Fish-awn

• 30 Pounder
  • Screemin Reelz Sportfishing
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:05 pm »
good job.  Glad ur enjoying the set up.  its def one of my favorites
Screemin Reelz Sportfishing Charters