General > Kayak Angler

How late in the year do you yak

(1/2) > >>

John Whyte:
Does anyone stay out until ice in? If so, where?

dilligaf0220:

--- Quote from: John Whyte on November 11, 2013, 06:25:38 am ---Does anyone stay out until ice in? If so, where?

--- End quote ---

I try to get atleast one or two trips to the Pickering Nuke plant over the winter (all about the weather windows!).
Either launch right next to the plant, but there's a decent drop you have to carry over.  Some guys have been launching from a ramp on Duffins (human powered only).

I miss the old Lakeview plant, it was a great protected cold water spot to yakfish over winter.  Pickering has lot's of fish, but you can only fish it out of a yak when there's N winds topping out at 15k...which doesn't happen often.

dwc67:
into december anyway fishing in tight for browns then it's what the weather allows. we just need a open beach or river mouth to get out.

John Whyte:
Do you wear a survival suit?

dilligaf0220:

--- Quote from: John Whyte on November 26, 2013, 08:07:58 pm ---Do you wear a survival suit?

--- End quote ---

I've always done the neoprene waders & dry top route.  If it was really cold I'd wear a floater coat over waders.

Can be tricky balancing between warm enough for immersion & not drenched in sweat paddling.

The usual Mustang suit you'd wear in a boat or ice fishing won't do you much good in a yak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version