Author Topic: 20lbs Hybrid Mono line ok?  (Read 3793 times)

JinxCanada

• 30 Pounder
  • Never fished for Salmon.... :-)
20lbs Hybrid Mono line ok?
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:25:58 pm »
I'm confused on what you guys mean but "wire rods" are you using wire instead of line? Can I use 20lbs Hybrid mono line for King Salmon and Browns?  I've never fished Lake Ontario and we don't get either of those here in Lake Erie.  Any advice would be great. 

I currently run dipsy's on 8 6" Shimano TDR with Rapala Hydros LC45 reels spooled with around 300yards of 20lbs Yozuri Hybrid line.  Would this be ok? and can I get down (how deep do I need to go anyway?) deep enough for Kings with my Dipsy's?  I don't have the magnums, but the large ones just before those.
On the hunt for a new boat!!!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

bigfoot737

• 30 Pounder
    • fish on charter
Re: 20lbs Hybrid Mono line ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:24:23 am »
I'm confused on what you guys mean but "wire rods" are you using wire instead of line? Can I use 20lbs Hybrid mono line for King Salmon and Browns?  I've never fished Lake Ontario and we don't get either of those here in Lake Erie.  Any advice would be great. 

I currently run dipsy's on 8 6" Shimano TDR with Rapala Hydros LC45 reels spooled with around 300yards of 20lbs Yozuri Hybrid line.  Would this be ok? and can I get down (how deep do I need to go anyway?) deep enough for Kings with my Dipsy's?  I don't have the magnums, but the large ones just before those.
Yes wire rods are spooled with wire line and a backing. You can use anything you can afford but usually wire and braid are used on dipsys . The hit is very hard so you want to use a line that has no stretch. A proper dipsy rod should also be used because it will have the backbone to take the hit as well as the proper guides for the line you are going to use. Both types of line will cut into the guides if the proper ones are not used. Wire rods usually have roller guides for the line while the braid rods have steel guides or ceramic guides. Most people use the steel guides or ceramic for both applications but being a charter boat I use the proper rod for the line I use. I also prefer a rod longer then 9ft but that is just my preference, for my spread and how my boat  and equipment is configured. Hope this helps.
Dave
Fish on Charter
There's nothing like a day out on the Lake