Author Topic: Flea Flicker Replacement  (Read 12764 times)

CATNIP II

• Full Box
Flea Flicker Replacement
« on: December 24, 2014, 04:08:52 pm »
Apparently this product is no longer being made.  For those that hated it, and there are many, no loss. Those of us who used it will need to find an alternative.  My plan is to size up to 40 pound mono in the hopes that it will be flea resistant.  I plan to use 20 pound leaders for running spoons and just straight 40 pound for flashers.   This is going to require larger reels.  Until the flea starts, I will continue to run 20 pound mono for spoons and 25 pound for flashers.  I can fit enough of this on my smaller reels.  Interested to hear what other FF users are planning.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Myles Ahead Sportfishing

• 30 Pounder
Re: Flea Flicker Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 04:32:54 pm »
The blood run sea flee is a good replacement.  Only issue I've ever had with it is, it's very slippery!!! Hard to use with pinch pad style releases.  Works great in my blacks releases.

SkeinMachine

• Full Box
  • Spoon MODerator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 06:17:08 pm »
40 lb will repel the spiny water flea's but wont stop the fish hook flea's.

When the fish hook flea's show up in August, it'll be interesting to see if we don't have a substitute to FF by then .....

I run 30 lb FF with a 6 ft, 20 lb leader .

Fishmas Greeting to all !!!!

Strike Zone

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »
I ran 40lb trilene big game for the past 2 seasons with no issues.  This after 10 plus seasons running 30lb flea flicker.  I did switch to saltist 40 series instead of Tek 600lc's to ensure enough line capacity when I switch over when the fleas show up. 

trophycraft

• 30 Pounder
  • Kevin
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:03:15 am »
The blood run sea flee is a good replacement.  Only issue I've ever had with it is, it's very slippery!!! Hard to use with pinch pad style releases.  Works great in my blacks releases.

Good to know Myles Ahead. I use Big John releases and it sounds like the Blood Run Sea Flee line will work for me. Read a little about it online and it sounds llike a solid product for keeping the flea problem at bay and possibly a good replacement line for the discontinued Flea Flicker line. I'm anxious to try it. Where can Blood Run Sea Flee line be purchased?

jinx

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »
We have been using 19 strand wire on our downrigger rods for 3 years now with no issues. There is no need to have a special rod however many charter captains prefer to use a rod with stainless guides, no special rod tip required when using 19 strand on rigger rods.
Torpedo Fishing Products.

SunriseCottageResort

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:03:29 pm »
I  just  ordered a  bulk roll of 30lbs flea flicker from the State's  and has already been sent.
Luxury Waterfront Cottages on beautiful WestLake, Wellington,

SunriseCottageResort

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 10:49:00 am »
I've  had a few PMs on where I ordered it from. Here you go. www.michiganangler.com
Luxury Waterfront Cottages on beautiful WestLake, Wellington,

fishnsled

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »
I've  had a few PMs on where I ordered it from. Here you go. www.michiganangler.com

Thanks for the link, just ordered some.

Edit - I got a phone call after placing the order and they are now out of the bulk spools, only the 300 yard ones left.  There is some talk of this line becoming available again but not until 2016 at the earliest. Just a heads up for those looking to order some for next year.

bwturtle

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 11:12:39 am »
Just a tip to get a few more seasons out of your existing FF.  From what I understand, the fleas seem to collect much thicker on the vertical sections of your setups, and much less on the horizontal sections.  Ex, line from surface to cannonball vs line from ball to lure.  So, the last few years I've only been adding 100 ft at a time (as I don't often fish deeper) to the end of my downrigger reels, getting much more life out of a 300yd (900ft) spool

inwood

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 10:35:49 pm »
I was in the Whitby Oshawa area today updating my passport.  I checked sail and gagnon for flea flicker.  Neither had any.

However gagnon did have the new blood run sea flea in stock. 

It looks a lot less "visible" then the courtland . 

smokey0418

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 10:48:30 pm »
Gagnon has the 20lb bulk spools just not the 30.

inwood

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 11:31:40 pm »
Sorry. I also should have noted.  THE FLOOR IS STOCKED FOR ICE AND RIVER FISHING.  Some nice stuff. 

Fellow helping me thought they had some but it would be buried in storage

the rose emile

• Shaker
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:20 pm »
LAST YEAR I USED
30PD MONO AND PUT VASELINE ON MY SPOOL AND IT WORKED GOOD.

ontarget

• Smolt
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 10:41:38 pm »
I just started running this line out on the lake recently on my mooching combos. Just an FYI to everyone. This stuff doesnt like to stay in the releases. I was running the black and lime green scotty releases. just slips out every time, even with twisting the line up than putting it in the release. After that trip I switched to OR1 releases. These hold a hell of a lot better, but still not as tight as I prefer. Going to have to try the red OR releases this weekend. This is just an FYI to save anyone some stress.