Author Topic: Boats  (Read 17083 times)

krakadawn

• Shaker
Re: Boats
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:31 am »
Check out the Lund Sport Angler......No other aluminum rig like it.......and it's a Lund. Starcraft have inferior hull designs not to mention the 25 thousand rivets on the bottom... Lots of extra drag!

Not to disparage the Lund........great boat but I didn't know I owned an inferior StarCraft Islander. It's got about 120 hours on it now, maybe I should pedal it.....

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Counterstrike

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 09:46:07 pm »
Are starcrafts welded now? Lol didn't know that....my bad. I saw one at the boat show about 5 years ago and that is all I remember about them.....rivets and rivets. I think it was some kind of a cabin one......can't remember the model. Still not a Lund! Lol

Counterstrike

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:48 pm »
Just checked the Starcraft site....... They are still riveted. Rivets are still better than welds.

Counterstrike

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 09:59:40 pm »
Oh dear.....looks like I touched a nerve by mistake. I have seen Starcraft boats in for repair with sides that are crumpled like potato chips just from waves on lake Champlain and the st Lawrence. Doesn't appear to be much of a frame under the skin. Lunds have I beam construction and are just known for ride quality......all I was saying. The proof was in the shop. I apologize for any comments that may have offended.

bigbus

• Full Box
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:59 pm »
My next boat will be fiberglass. Can't beat the ride. I've got a 17' smokercraft now, it's nice. But after a few trips on erie with a 19' walkaround i'm hooked. It's a night and day difference.

John Whyte

• Administrator
  • Full Box
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 04:49:03 pm »
Check out the Lund Sport Angler......No other aluminum rig like it.......and it's a Lund. Starcraft have inferior hull designs not to mention the 25 thousand rivets on the bottom... Lots of extra drag!

I would certainly beg to differ that Lund has a superior hull design over Starcraft. Dollar for dollar Starcraft is a better boat today.
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

silvertracker

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 01:08:54 pm »
With the price of boats today- i would rather buy a Fiberglass boat unless you are fishing the Niagara through the winter - no comparison between the ride.

I have been in both, I own Fiberglass and I don't feel beat up at the end of the day

Leo 11

• Full Box
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »
Ive looked into buying a bigger aluminum boat many times and always come back to the same model.  Starcraft Fishmaster either the 196 or the 216 if you want something bigger.  Most aluminum boats will have a great ride, handle chop and all the bells and whistles but what separates this model from the rest is the interior layout especially at the transom.  This boat is perferctly suited for someone who wants to predomiantly troll but still has a nice casting platform up front.  the rear of the boat does not have a bench seat rather the seats are removable which allows fisherman to walk to the rear of the boat and still have their thighs or waist at the gunnel, very safe for when you're adjusting riggers, dypsies or more importantly netting fish.
Marshs marine has great service and competitive prices.  They will also give you top dollar if you have a trade in.  This boat with Yamaha motor and your set, i believe Marshs pushes Suzuki but i have heard nothing but good things about them as well.
I still have dream of running a 21-23' Wellcraft Center console fiberglass boat around the Lakes but realtistically the Starcraft is a better option especially if you will be trailering a lot.
my 2 cents
kris

I'm with you on the Starcraft 196 krawler. Had mine since '92 and still going and looking good :)
God does not deduct from man's allotment those hours spent fishing.

krawler

• Full Box
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 05:25:44 pm »
I love the Starcraft but in the end decided 19'6" is too much boat plus motor and trailer, the length is too much for my needs, price was mid 50's on a new one.  Plus I don't want a dual axle trailer, It would tear up my lawn.
Shopped around a lot this past winter, found a Princecraft 186 Super Pro GL that I really liked put together an offer and just before I was to pick it up I found the 1850 Crestliner Commander, price was high but looked around for a deal. Originally I didn't like the old school windshield but soon realized that they made the same boat but with a taller and more sleeker windshield, found a new non current 2014, made a deal with the dealer for 2016 150 Merc 4 stroke and put down a deposit.  price was in the mid $30's
The interior is much like the StarCraft but the helm is a little more forward giving it more space at the transom, seats 6, lots of space and storage.  I also bought a Yamaha 9.9 with flush mount controls, 2 scotty 2116 and Lowrance Elite 7ti.  Currently having all this installed professionally.  I have yet to water test it but all reviews online seem very positive.  here is a link to the boat, the windshield is different in mine but not shown on the crestliner website. 

https://www.crestliner.com/commander/1850-commander/

Might go for my svop next year and start chartering small groups as a hobby. 

kris

Fishmandan

• 30 Pounder
  • Wishing I Was Fishing
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 06:20:26 pm »
Nice looking boat.
I was going to buy this year but work this year has not been good at all. So now I'm going to wait Till next or the year after  and keep my p.o.s.  But right now the price is right. Free lol
The boat I want is 60,000 + tax.
But u now have me looking at this Beauty when the time comes
Nice boat.

krawler

• Full Box
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 06:43:58 pm »
Thanks, still a few 2014's kicking around and dealers are willing to negotiate.  if I'm around Toronto with the boat or you're near Midland, ill take you out for a troll, see how you like it. 

steve

• Full Box
  • Fishing 4 Fun since Day 1
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 07:08:38 pm »
very nice boat man!!

I lean towards rivets over welds, but that is a super sweet trolling boat!!

Fishmandan

• 30 Pounder
  • Wishing I Was Fishing
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 07:48:44 pm »
Thanks, still a few 2014's kicking around and dealers are willing to negotiate.  if I'm around Toronto with the boat or you're near Midland, ill take you out for a troll, see how you like it.

I would love to take u up on this offer I live just out side of moonstone. 16 mins to midland actually.

Anytime u need a guy just send me a pm. I'll be happy to split the cost Of a fishing trip or just go out for a troll. Im sure u don't have trouble filling spots in your boat.  Tho lol