Author Topic: 2016 Port Whitby Dates  (Read 24114 times)

NOREELWORRIES

• 30 Pounder
Re: 2016 Port Whitby Dates
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 02:43:54 pm »
Just to let everyone know the executive reviewed over the forecasts from several sources this morning and they are all calling for higher wind conditions which will likely mean small craft wind warnings both on Sat and Sun.   Safety of our derbies is first and foremost consideration since we do have a number of smaller boats participate usually and at this time, it is too questionable if a safe derby can be held.

Since we have a number of participant boats that are from out of town we thought it is best to decide to postpone now which we have decided on July 9th as the new date for the first derby.

For those that have entered already, you can use your entry for July 9th or if you cannot participate, we will refund your entry.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

FishOn (mkulak)

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 03:03:30 pm »
Good call...  Looks like the only decent times on the water will be Tomorrow morning until noonish and Sunday Afternoon.
Marc | 1989 Tiara 2700 | Kings Landing

gbay

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »
That's the right call gents. I may be able to participate in the July 9.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

gtim

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 04:08:27 pm »
Agreed, Very Good Call

Some of the "What the Hook?" crew can't do the 9th but I am going to see if I can get replacements because I definitely want to participate.

"What The Hook?"

jmarion

• TEAM MEAN JEANS
  • 30 Pounder
  • TEAM MEAN JEANS
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »
Yeah I have a team member that can't participate.

Might make a post on here to see if I can fill that spot.

NOREELWORRIES

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 06:02:00 pm »
I know a couple guys who volunteer at the hatchery and might be interested in going out. At least one comes complete with a salmon hunt ticket and several hrs of training on NRW  :o  PM or email me if you want their contact info.

Pickerel killer

• Full Box
2016 Port Whitby Dates
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 09:14:34 pm »
Please don't take this the wrong way but I have a few questions just so I know for future reference.  And I understand these are tough decisions to make.  But Why are we calling a tournament on a Thursday?  We all know the weatherman is a DF!  Sunday has always been forecasted at very fishable winds on multiple sites windguru, and wind alert.  When a tourney is being held on a Saturday is Sunday not an option to fish?  Are all tournements in the future going to be called if it's over 15k?  Not that money really matters but this just cost me a few hundred bucks so just wondering!  And I do appreciate all the hard work use do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbus

• Full Box
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 10:14:30 pm »
with the strong winds forecasted the lake is unlikely to lay down before noon on sunday, after sustained winds out of the west there will be large rollers, lots of smaller boats in these events. 15km is usually fishable, agreed, but you have to take into consideration other factors. not sure how you are out a few hundred dollars, they are refunding your money.

NOREELWORRIES

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 01:05:07 am »
Hindsight is wonderful and no matter what we do we can't please everyone.... we do prefer to error on the side of caution and when we went thru all the weather services this morning it looked like we had a very high probability both Sat and Sun were going to be too rough. Wind is still expected, at most services, to blow fairly strong all Sat night so I still doubt it will lay down much for Sunday morning in Whitby. ... Real question was did it have enough "North" in it so we could get out and just stay skinny. Also, we made the call today as several teams are coming from out of town and we wanted to get word out before they started to travel and with low probability on both days decided to postpone the week.

Sorry for the inconvenience.... We do the best we can. As stated money is refunded if you cannot attend new date so not sure how you are out of pocket. PM or email me if you wish to discuss further. 

BTW I hope it does lay down Sunday so I don't have to spend most of the long weekend and opening of the GOSD on shore.         

Pickerel killer

• Full Box
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 08:25:49 am »
I took the chance and moored my boat in Whitby for the week with anticipation of the event ($150) bucks. I pulled out last night fuel back to my home port and fuel to turn around and come back next week.  That's how I'm out a few hundred bucks.  That doesn't include entry fees.  But that's the risk I took and understand that's on me.  And yes hindsight is always 20/20 but those screen shots of wind guru and wind alert is from noon on Thursday.  Oh we'll see ya next weekend!

NOREELWORRIES

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 11:00:41 am »
Your on BYOB correct ? I'm in the Grady White couple slips up from where you docked. I was wondering if you came in for the derby.  Sorry it didn't work out that great for you but,  hopefully you got to sample Whitby fishing last Sat and again this Wed so not a total loss. (Whitby had great fishing both those days). Let's hope we have great weather for the rest of the series ... looks like the fish are going to be very cooperative this year.  See you next weekend. 

Pickerel killer

• Full Box
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 11:32:59 am »
Yep that's me, I dropped the boat there saturday.  Haven't left the dock since except last night running the boat home.
Cheers

dracokaos

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 02:17:03 pm »
Hey All,

Is there somewhere to view the rules for this tourney? I'm looking at entering but will be running with just 4 rods as it will be only myself and my old man. Would I still be able to be competitive with 4 rods since 6 is the max?

Thanks in advance

Cheers and tightlines

range26

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 02:28:16 pm »
I ran two rods this morning and landed 3 in a couple hours, a 15 a 20 and one close to 30. I'd say you can be competitive.

dracokaos

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 02:46:01 pm »
I guess what I'm asking, since I don't know how the scoring rules apply, is since I am only running 4 rods with 2 people is it a total weight? another boat may have 3 people and be able to keep more fish.

Nice job range26. Sounds like a decent morning for you.

Cheers