Author Topic: Storing Flies  (Read 5674 times)

horsehunter

• 30 Pounder
Storing Flies
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:30:18 am »
How do you store your flies and how many do you really need?

What would be the first 6 flashers or spin doctors you would buy?

after fishing muskies almost exclusively for 30 years and catching a few salmon with friends I want to try some summer salmon fishing on my own.

I have a couple of manual Scotties ( watching for some good used electrics )
2 wire Dipsey set ups
A mast and boards
and a box of spoons

Don't want to go overboard with more tackle than i really need ( not like i did with muskie gear )

I live north of Belleville so will probably fish between Wellington and Newcastle so any pointers would be welcomed.

I'm retired with an 18 foot boat and not a daredevil, but will probably have some weekday open seats for someone who has some idea what they are doing or wants to stumble through it with me.
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Got2Bite

• Full Box
    • Got2Bite Fishing Tackle
Re: Storing Flies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 02:20:33 pm »
.There are many ways you can store flies.  If you are storing them rigged, the cheapest way is to use either pipe insulation or swimming noodles.  Simply wrap the leader with the fly attached.  I recommend notching the ends so the swivel and hook can fit in there without coming loose. 

The number of flies is a loaded question.  Cause I make and sell flies, I recommend buying a Million Got2Bite flies.   Realistically,  I would start off with at least handful.  I a mix recommend greens, silver,  UV, with the majority have a large amount of green material.   As it seems salmon tend to hit green on more of a consistent basis.

Unrigged flies, can be put them in clear tubing (you can buy it in bulk from any hardware store).  Cut the tub long enough to cover the whole fly.  Another option is to store them individually in compartments in tackle trays.  I am selling my fly packages with a 3400 Plano Stowaway tackle tray.  They hold 6 flies neatly and are easy to identify.

As far as flashers/SDs, (I prefer SDs over conventional paddles and Agitators).  I would definitely have greens, whites (crushed ice), chromes/silvers. 
Fish Got2Bite

sailor71

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:32:23 pm »
Hi Frank

Got2Bite has some great starting suggestions. I use the large pool noodles to wrap rigged flys. Amish outfitters sell a box specifically for flys. My fishing partner has one and it works really well. I like to run six lines. 2 rigger, 2 dipsey and on planers a 300' copper and 10 color lead. Hope to see you at a Kawartha Muskie meeting and we can discuss further. Maybe we can get out a few times together this season.

Russell

gbay

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:28:04 pm »
get a white lightning paddle for meat. (Green glow head) aswell as a UV paddle and head.  A caramel dolphin SD. a dalmatian protroll and SD and a white and green dot. SD and protroll.  flies get a blue hammer fly. Pro am and a few other greens.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

inwood

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:09:10 am »
I am using the Dreamweaver fly storage box.   Wendy at the tackle shop in Wellington has a few in stock. 

Green's and blue's for me.  2 years ago top fly was glow hammer, last year it didnt take a fish.  Trans aqua did well for us

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

exttrimmer

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »
Buy the 3"× 3" post it notes. Roll them into tube and use sticky to seal the roll. Your fly will fit into the tube. Then you need some sort of container to hold wrapped flies.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Do you really need to ask what I do for FUN!!!

blackeyes

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:05:35 pm »
I went to local hardware and bought 5' of pex plastic 1/2" water line. Cut it into peices to fit the flies. Won't collapse and moisture doesn't effect it