Author Topic: What Makes a Great Year Class  (Read 2268 times)

John Whyte

• Administrator
  • Full Box
What Makes a Great Year Class
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »
I spend 250 days a year on the water and I still feel I'm missing Time on the Water.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

bennyg

• 30 Pounder
Re: What Makes a Great Year Class
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
Well done, John.

That was enjoyable and informative.  It's nice to hear the seasonal changes benefiting the species as you've mentioned.  Although, I can't help but wonder what other future stressors to the SMB may also be benefiting by the lack of cold, harsh winters, however.  I see a true Canadian winter as a means of cleansing the weak and purifying the ecosystem in favour of species native to the area.  I can't help but feel as though the system as a whole will see numerous changes with respect to all species, food webs and reproduction cycles as our water temperatures continue to increase.

I also have seen results from the study of tournament angling on the Bass population on Quinte.  Due to their territorial nature, and modern technology, we are now experiencing bass being angled upwards of 30 miles from the location of weigh in, only to be released dockside and reside locally for years.  This then alters the balance of density and available habitats in the area of the weigh-in, and thus thinning the herd from those other distant areas.  IMO, all of this is food for thought when attempting to manage any fishery as a resource.

Please continue to post these great clips!

Benny