Author Topic: Salmon fishing near Tobermory  (Read 6048 times)

Rails

• Shaker
Salmon fishing near Tobermory
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:56:19 am »
Hello,
I am curious to know how the salmon fishing is near Tobermory. I am familiar with Western Lake Ontario, but not the Georgian Bay Area. I am thinking about bring my boat up when we visit next late Summer/early Fall.
Rails

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Floater

• Shaker
Re: Salmon fishing near Tobermory
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:09:19 pm »
No replies in 5 months... kinda tells a story.  There used to be a few Salmon around up there but I haven't tried in a several years.  Trolling glowing lures in the dark right in the harbor was always our most successful tactic.  Stay away from the tour boats.  The captains all think they own Georgian Bay and will swamp you if you're near their path.

BillM

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:44 pm »
I'd leave the boat at home, lol.

exttrimmer

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:20:50 pm »
If you search some previous posts there is a tourney run out of Gore Bay every summer. One of the guys on here did very well and won I think. Definitely saw report on here.

Do you really need to ask what I do for FUN!!!

exttrimmer

• 30 Pounder
Do you really need to ask what I do for FUN!!!

Floater

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »
Manitoulin Island is a long open water run from Tobermory and not a good idea unless you're taking the ferry over.  The harbour can produce fish on glowing lures in the dark.  You will see boats circling around from the ferry to the point and over to the lighthouse.   When the sun comes up, the fishing gets tougher.  I'd move out around the point and work my way East down into Dunk's Bay.  Troll fast with long leads and cover some territory.  If that doesn't work, you can always slow down and drag bottom closer to the tub for Lakers. 

saugeendrifter

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:29:16 am »
Don't know much about the exact details only word of mouth.
During the summer months the salmon do show up and hang around for a bit but where they are or when I can't say, same as any fishery I assume; last year perhaps July long weekend was on fire next year it wont set up till August...
If you are visiting late summer or early fall I would say fishing off tributaries is your best bet for staging fish.
Lake trout are abundant and have heard there are plenty of rainbows to target along the shore.
Id run smelt style baits and stay away from the Alewife baits, we have very little alewife in this lake.
Our salmon are full of smelt and shinners mostly.
Georgian bay is crystal clear or gin clear depending on how you want to describe it. Your dipsey divers wont take many fish here like Lady O, water is too clear and they don't like them. More natural lure colours would likely be best but it isn't gospel. Lake O usually has turbid water but any time I was at Tobermory the water was Gin clear and I could see 40+ feet to bottom on a calm day.
Other forums that do cover "Georgian bay message board". Perhaps a gander there may help. Hope I was allowed to tell you that!
Give a fish and they eat for a day, teach them to fish they eat for a lifetime both in mind and body

Rails

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 05:36:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for replying. I have stayed on Lake O this summer so far...