Author Topic: Understanding wire line  (Read 3466 times)

jinx

• Full Box
Understanding wire line
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:26 pm »
As a wire manufacturer every once in a while I will see a misinformed post. In this particular case I saw a post, on another website, where a high profile fisherman stated that wire line should be straight right off the spool. To understand wire we must go right to the manufacturing process. 7 strand wire is produced whereby one straight strand is encased by 6 strands in a rifling method or lay. The stress when working the single strands to produce cable makes the cable very curly and unusable in its current state. Wire is then annealed at high temperatures to relieve the stress created by the stranding process. The manufacturer must be very carefull during this destressing process as too much destressing will cause the wire to form fine cracks or fractures. Once this has happened all of the curl of the wire has been removed and the wire lays straight. The difference between wire that lays straight and wire with a slight curl is the following. Straight wire curls and kinks easier, it loses up to 50% of its initial breaking strength before annealing and is less durable.
Torpedo Fishing Products.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Wyfish

• Shaker
Re: Understanding wire line
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:20 pm »
Thank you for the info
Very helpful
I am considering using wire and new to it!