Author Topic: SWR- Secret Weapon Rig  (Read 10195 times)

onelastcast1

• 30 Pounder
SWR- Secret Weapon Rig
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:19:33 am »
Just reading up on SWR from a charter caption from lake Michigan.  He uses 20' leader follow by 2 colour lead core.  https://poseidonflies.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/how-to-use-copper-and-leadcore-line-while-salmon-fishing/
Want to try this set up this year.  Can I get some feedback from other who have had success with SWR.  What bait do you run, do you use this all year or only when things slow down mid day in the summer? 

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
Re: SWR- Secret Weapon Rig
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:03:54 pm »
I've been using it with spoons/bodybaits deepest or with bodybaits off inline. If used mid depth theres a small risk of tangling with nearby dipsy or whatnot on a sharp turn.

riggerrob

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 02:22:58 pm »
I tried it a few years ago with spoons and cut bait.  Did not try flasher/fly.  It was used as our deepest rig.  We had found a few colors of leadcore on the bottom one day fishing for lake trout and did not want to waste it.  Never caught one fish the whole year, not even a boot on Lake Ontario.

krawler

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:20:25 pm »
I use it on Gbay with good success.  ALways the deepest line.  I usually fish it with minimum 20 ft between the ball and bottom. 

onelastcast1

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I don't have extra colours.   Would have to buy 2 colours to put on a rigger reel. 

Jerryklimczuk

• 30 Pounder
    • NK Combustion and Boiler Service Inc
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 11:12:18 pm »
Just reading up on SWR from a charter caption from lake Michigan.  He uses 20' leader follow by 2 colour lead core.  https://poseidonflies.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/how-to-use-copper-and-leadcore-line-while-salmon-fishing/
Want to try this set up this year.  Can I get some feedback from other who have had success with SWR.  What bait do you run, do you use this all year or only when things slow down mid day in the summer?
This is the SWR I know of and use. (See below).
I run it when the bite is slow (mid day) or the fish have gone deeper from high sun and clear water. Normally run 4-5" spoons, bottom line. I started running a smaller dodger and fly last year that worked really well mid day. Never got any monsters but kept the action going until the afternoon bite.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

onelastcast1

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:21 am »
looks great.  Can't wait to try this summer when the sun is high and water calm. 

DeathrowFish1

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:32:26 am »
I usually run it with an 11 inch uv flasher and meat rig. Deepest bait always. It didn't fire often but it almost always took the biggest fish. Good luck trying it out this year.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Copper Miner

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 10:59:57 am »
I often run one with a spoon usually at mid-depths (40-60').  In my head it gets the bait a bit further back while imparting a bit of the "motion" that lead core provides (if that is a real thing).  Maybe its just because I use it more, but it catches as many fish for me as bare spoons behind the ball. 

saugeendrifter

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:28 am »
When I use more than one Secret Weapon Rig at a time I run the deep one back 20ft of braid or so and the higher SWR at least 10 ft above it and over 75ft ft back. But I do have scotty 60" booms across an 8-0 beam. I also never bring my dipseys or slide divers within 1.5 setting so I have never witnessed any tangles but I never crazy Ivan. Also a great line for the boards.
Can also help out with flatline trolling in 20FOW to get your spoons down. Theory is 5-0 of depth per color as an approximate; yes there are heavier leads that drop deeper but this is a general rule of thumb.
Give a fish and they eat for a day, teach them to fish they eat for a lifetime both in mind and body