Author Topic: Tips for using Dipsys  (Read 4949 times)

Jczuba

• Shaker
Tips for using Dipsys
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
« on: Today at 11:33:49 am »
Hi there,  I'm fairly new to salmon fishing and have my own boat this year. I launch from FP and head towards Bronte in about 90-110 ft using dipsys, spin doctors and spoons. Trolling 2.5mph average. Not much luck so far this season.  Typically have about 140 ft of braid out which I think should put me around 50 ft down on #3 setting

Any advice or changes I should make?  Thanks guys!!

Jeff

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
Re: Tips for using Dipsys
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:08:58 pm »
Dio you spoons behind spindoctors or flys?  How long is your leader ffom dipsy to spoon

Jczuba

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »
Using spoons.  About 3ft from dipsys to spin doctor, and another 3ft back to spoon.

baitfish

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:21:41 pm »
Hey Jczuba

I would try running your spoons naked (without spin doctor) with a 8ft leader of #25-#30 floro.
If you go to a fly behind the spin doctor then go with a 5-6ft leader behind dipsey of #50 floro and tie the fly 21" behind the flasher.
This just a basic starting point.
And ya I think you should be running about 40-50 ft deep with that set-up but when fleas show up the braid will be brutal. Wire line will be the way to go.
Welcome to the money hole of salmon fishing
HIH

Baitfish

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 03:03:17 pm »
I find about 9 ft leader to a spoon  plus the snubber works the best for me. So I use 10.5 ft rods. Also, if you release dipsy too quick when you set it up it will flip and wont work at all. Hope it helps

ptfisher49

• Shaker
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 04:48:28 pm »
You should pic up the dipsy book I’ve seen it at grimsbe tackle. Size of dipsy ,ring or no ring different sizes of ring different types of line. the book helps a lot. I was running a 6 rod spread on the weekend and the only way I could get them to fire was a 3 setting with wire only 80 feet back. or using the smallest dipsy 275 feet back. Lead core  5 colours were going on boards and the riggers were just something that would not work. Good fishing!

spincast

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 08:14:26 pm »
Here's a few things I have put together over the years, a lot of it from this site  (in it's previous incarnation), some borrowed from Keating's books and the rest from a variety of sources on the net. The meat presentation is from John King, who has a great website with videos, and some really interesting looking spoons I will one day break down and try. Hopefully some of what is in here will help you zero in on what works, This is what I did when I was starting  out.  For what its worth, I have found the fishing off Burlington is still slower than normal for this time of year.  The changeable weather and cooler tamps have the laske still pretty cool.    My dispeys have not been as productive as my riggers this year, and the hot depth seems to around 70 down.

When you get a fish - make a note - how fast, how deep, what time of day, what colour, what direction etc.Then you can repeat it.  Keeping a fishing log (wish I could, I am working on a blog instead, I just never get around to writing that much)  is a great way to figure them out based on all the variables. 
If you need help interpreting the dipsey charts, pm me.
Good luck, and get ready to part with a few bucks as you explore all the different options

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:51:12 am »
" Welcome to the money hole of salmon fishing " ! Get a downrigger ; manuals work just fine ! [ Scotty ]