Author Topic: Fish-Hawk X4D How useful is Temp for Chinook  (Read 8029 times)

raid235

• Shaker
Fish-Hawk X4D How useful is Temp for Chinook
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:38 am »
I've fished Lake O since 2010 and done okay without a Fish Hawk but always wanted one from word of mouth of FH owners, but dont have access to them currently for intel.  So I finally bit the bullet and bough one and am going out with it on Lake O this weekend for the first time.

I tested it out on a Lake Trout Lake and the installation seems sound, as in I got readings constantly and they seem reasonable. Big Rideau Lake. didn't take the probe to the bottom as th depths change dramatically and quickly so didn't check the temps where the fish were mostly holding at the bottom (110-125 ft) and (150-165 ft). Only used the probe at 60 ft where temp was 50F.  So it appeared fish may have been at the optimum Temp for lakers - 42.
Only caught lakers (3) at DR depths > 80 ft, nothing touched the 60- 70 ft DR which would have been within the Range for Lakers but not the optimum temp.

I like all 3 readings for the probe (actual depth/Lure Speed/temp) but I am wondering just how much the Chinooks prefer or dont prefer their ideal temp of 44F?  ie is that a temp/Depth to really focus on vs just fishing the way I usually do which is fish at the depth where Im marking the majority of fish regardless of temp?   Ie the way I used to determine my DR depths for the last 10 years without a probe?

My initial plan would probably be to set one DR at the ideal temp and the other where apparently feeding fish are marking and go from there, but I would appreciate if anyone has experience of the relationship between success at the fish ideal temp vs other depth indicators.

I catch fish but dont ever fill the boat compared to my fishing colleagues claims in terms of action so I think I could do a lot better...or worse ;)

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Salmon Sublx8r

• Full Box
Re: Fish-Hawk X4D How useful is Temp for Chinook
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:52 am »
I was like you before my FH. But I have def seen increase in numbers when using the probe. At times, I found the down speed to be more vital.

raid235

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:28:18 am »
I was like you before my FH. But I have def seen increase in numbers when using the probe. At times, I found the down speed to be more vital.
Thanks, yes I think that's my main goal to confirm  lure speed. I find in rougher waters my action drops to almost futile and been wondering what my lure speed is especially then. When Calm I find easier to maintain about 2.7-8 mph GPS speed and can anticipate the usual hits rate, but still dont know the actual lure speed.

What lure speed do you aim for? Still the 2.5 to 2.9?

Are suggesting you dont pay attention to the ideal temp?

Salmon Sublx8r

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:46 am »
Thanks, yes I think that's my main goal to confirm  lure speed. I find in rougher waters my action drops to almost futile and been wondering what my lure speed is especially then. When Calm I find easier to maintain about 2.7-8 mph GPS speed and can anticipate the usual hits rate, but still dont know the actual lure speed.

What lure speed do you aim for? Still the 2.5 to 2.9?

Are suggesting you dont pay attention to the ideal temp?

Usual lure speed, but I play around if bite is slow and pay attention to strikes during turns for other hints.
I always pay attention to temp. Especially during the hot dog days of summer.

gordy mohr

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:57:16 pm »
I dont have a temp probe. I guess Im too cheap.  I fish for hooks and that tells me where to drop the gear.

as for ideal temp, I think the ideal temp for the fish is where ever they are at. lots of times Ive seen posts on here people saying they fished the "prefered temp" and still not get any bites even when they went through every lure in the box.

every time I hear someone mention a specific temp for a species of fish I wonder,  preferred temp for what? for resting? for digesting food? for migrating? or for feeding. Ive seen fish in the middle of summer on bait fish just below the surface and thats def not with in the "preferred temp" people keep talking about.

Im thinking is got to do with more than just a specific temp. lure presentation, underwater currents, sun penetration, wind, moon phase and who knows what else and prob a combination of these.

its an interesting topic though.
of all the things Ive lost, I miss my mind the most

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:01:30 pm »
I'd love to have a FH.  Just can't justify dropping a grand on one.   That would go along way towards other gear.
I'd be more interested in speed than anything else.   Nice to know your downspeed is optimal for the presentation you're running.
I also agree with what Gordy said regarding temp.  Fish migrate in and out of "prefered" temps all the time.   Feeding fish are on the bait.  Find the bait you'll find the fish.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SS Krapola

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 09:42:47 am »
I just lost my fish hawk probe off Port Weller when the rigger cable broke on the rewind. ( older cable had a kink ). You may have heard my howls of anguish if you were within 20 miles of my boat...sorry for the language.

I loved the ability to get accurate depth and speed readings at the ball, but found the temperature readings to be of little assistance. A new probe is about     
$375....Im not in a rush to replace it, so I guess that says it all.

Good fishing!

Salmon Sublx8r

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 09:59:43 am »
Sucks bro. Had my cable snap last year. Luckily it wasn’t the probe side.

Darkfish

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 04:49:30 pm »
okay - so I am still curious on what the proper lure speed is?

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 10:55:20 pm »
okay - so I am still curious on what the proper lure speed is?
The speed your lure runs the best at.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Salmon Sublx8r

• Full Box

Darkfish

• Shaker
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 11:23:13 pm »
of course... how silly of me...

riggerrob

• Full Box
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 12:26:12 am »
While fishing on a boat with a fish-hawk telling you your speed at the ball, run a dipsy into that zone.  Watch the bend.  You can read a fiberglass infused rod on the angle of the bend as to how fast you are going.  2.2 is easy, 2.5 is easy, 2.7 and 2.9 are all favorite lure speeds and the bends are very noticeable.  You can even be trolling into or against a current and the bend will tell you your speed.  As far as temp goes, the bait sits at 55 degrees most of the time.  Below that is prime hunting zones.  Watch the angle of the bait balls.  Watch how many bait balls and depth.  Everything is a clue on my 23 year old Eagle fish finder.  Temp can tell you information fast and can probably stop you from running around at 30 mph's finding marks and bait for almost an hour.  You can do this, buy a fish-hawk or follow the 'kipper' pack.

raid235

• Shaker
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 03:56:27 pm »
On my day out with the Fish-Hawk 1st time on the Lake part of the day was with a 15km/h wind and part of the day was very little wind. When wind was low I found my GPS speed and lure speed very similar when it was windy I got about .5 mph and perhaps sometimes up to .8 mph difference between GPS and Lure speed.  But the difference during the wind was only in one direction, however I dont recall now 10 days later whether it was into the wind or with it where the discrepancy between gps and lure speed was significant. Fortunately now that I own a Fish Hawk, I dont need to remember :)

Had I posted this before I got a Fish Hawk, I think I would have tried fishing with a meat rig first to see if that improved the fish count . Much cheaper next step than the $1000 step.

salmontracker

• Full Box
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:15 pm »
Right now nobody is catching fish, fish hawk or not. You won’t regret the purchase once fishing conditions return to normal. I guarantee it.