Author Topic: Flouro or No Flouro  (Read 4775 times)

SooSalmonSlayer

• Smolt
Flouro or No Flouro
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:09:57 pm »
I fish Lake Superior.....Run Flouro leaders on all My Rods...Is it essential on Lake O....When Running clean Spoons.....as all other Presentations are not Stealth....Thanks...Head ing to the Bluffs for our Annual Salmon Fish...and in the Past....Leader doesn’t matter at all.....

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

quickfish4me

• 30 Pounder
Re: Flouro or No Flouro
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:33:43 pm »
All the money we spend on Fishing and you want to cheap out on a leader. May make a difference or may not but at the end of the day do you want to be standing on the dock and find out the only difference was I was running flouro and you weren't.

MMR

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 10:27:25 pm »
I’m experimenting with saving money on florocarbon this year and not using it except on flies and meat rigs. I have had no decline on hook ups. Saving on floro and swivels. To each their own on confidence set ups n baits

Bob Webster

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 10:53:40 pm »
Floro is unnecessary.
It has some advantages in stiffness,  allowing lighter leaders on flys,  but its not a  necessity .   Salmon are rarely as picky as steam trout.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

riggerrob

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:35:47 am »
Fish one rod with fluoro on portside and one rod without on starboard side for a full year.  Keep a log sheet.  Switch sides every so often.  After a year, you will have the answers to all your Lake Ontario questions.  Also keep a log on hook-up to landing percentages with different hook set-ups.  When you boat 95%+ of hooked fish on a certain line and hook set-up, then you know are in the zone.  Mark down each species that were caught also.  Sometimes during a slow day, a Lackawanna trout looks good.

Salmon Sublx8r

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 02:26:46 am »
Do you guys tie the flouro directly on main or use swivel connector?

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 06:47:40 am »
Good topic and lot of great advice ! IMO go with the flouro and tie directly to the main line .

salmontracker

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 08:26:49 am »
Gave up on flouro last year. Was getting way to many break offs with the crap. After a lot of lost fish and lures on 20# flouro started tying on 10-15 ft. of 20# green big game. Fish didn’t seem to care. That move has saved me a lot of grief. Spools of fishing line should have a manufacture date on them. I’m sure all my problems with flouro was from old stock. One spool was so crappy I took it back to Sail for a replacement. They reluctantly gave me a new spool, but said they wouldn’t replace the lures I lost.

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 09:42:06 am »
No kidding they wouldn't replace the lures you lost as there is no proof that they are lost.  Think about it from their end and not yours.  If you were in their shoes what would you do?

riggerrob

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 11:38:52 am »
When purchasing green fishing line or fluoro, make note of the line diameter.  Certain brands have a smaller or larger diameter for the same lb. test line.  Know the line diameter first before you zero in on the best brand to buy.  You do not want to lose that fish a lifetime.  I recently tried a new product by the same leading making of fluoro that had a wee bit smaller diameter thinking I would catch more and could get away with the less thickness of the line.  Boy, did I change back real quick after having a break-off.  Three tyee's lost in my day's learning the ropes was a hard learning curve but am forgetful and stubborn.  I will still try something new when it comes along.

salmontracker

• Full Box
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 03:51:49 pm »
No kidding they wouldn't replace the lures you lost as there is no proof that they are lost.  Think about it from their end and not yours.  If you were in their shoes what would you do?
Guess I should have put that “lol” at the end. Wasn’t expecting or even asking about lures back. The clerk mentioned the lures I was just happy that the line was replaced. But I’m still not using flouro again.

Sjhagarty

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 04:40:33 pm »
When purchasing green fishing line or fluoro, make note of the line diameter.  Certain brands have a smaller or larger diameter for the same lb. test line.  Know the line diameter first before you zero in on the best brand to buy.  You do not want to lose that fish a lifetime.  I recently tried a new product by the same leading making of fluoro that had a wee bit smaller diameter thinking I would catch more and could get away with the less thickness of the line.  Boy, did I change back real quick after having a break-off.  Three tyee's lost in my day's learning the ropes was a hard learning curve but am forgetful and stubborn.  I will still try something new when it comes along.
Please elaborate, I switched to seagar salmon and trout leader for my floro this year and can't really point to the line for either of my break offs. I'm curious to which line you had trouble with?

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

quickfish4me

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 08:49:07 pm »
Only flouro I have failed on me was on pre tied flies. Keep my flouro in a box out of light and have used it for years to use up a spool.

riggerrob

• Full Box
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 12:21:25 am »
Most break-offs are not the line.  It is the knot and how you tie the knot or using too low of a diameter line.  I have not had a break-off at the knot by using the strongest knots made and how to tie them properly.  There is more than just licking your line at the end.  When you snug a line tight at the end, it does make knicks where the eye of the hook meets the line.  Try to tie your hooks without feeding the line through the eye.  Snug it down wet and then the last step is to feed the end gently through the eye after the snug to avoid the knicks.  Try it with a hook at home.  Snug it down both ways.  Feel the line after you feed it back through the eye.  So, back to the knot.  One knot for the leader hooks, one knot for the trailer hooks and one knot for connecting directly to a swivel, flasher, dipsy, simple treble or single non turned eyed hook.  DuckDuckGo will get you to the knots.  Most charter captains have videos available.  When you crank your drag down to semi-tight and not creep because you now have confidence in knots and strength in the diameter line used, the hook-up to boat ratio hits a very high percentage with the proper sharp hooks used on salmon.  Trout/Steelhead leader is great for bows and browns but not for 35lb+ salmon.  If you choose to use Seaguar, I recommend 30lb blue label for summer time clean lures, 40lb for summer meat and 50lb for flies.  Adding trailer hooks on meat and flies is another subject.

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 09:44:27 pm »
Most " break-offs " I can remember happen when " horsing " in a KS which is not done !