Author Topic: Any boat launches open?  (Read 8471 times)

FishFarmer

• Full Box
Re: Any boat launches open?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 10:01:35 am »
Whats going to shut the ramps down is 2 people in a boat or standing on a dock. The rule is distancing.
You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

waterdownredneck

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 11:11:35 am »
Short term pain for long term gain hopefully,  if not, we may not get out next year either the way they are talking.  There are always a few that will push the closures but a $750 fine will change their minds. 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

BillM

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 02:33:17 pm »
Why are you looking for launches? If you have to drive more than 10 minutes to launch you shouldn't be going. These communities don't want hordes of anglers coming to the very few launches that are open.

So if you're within 10 mins of a ramp you're good to go but if you're further you're not?    Explain to me how this one works please.     

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 02:52:59 pm »
I don't get that either.  How does the community know whether someone is within a 10 minute drive of the launch if it is filled with Ontario plates?  Do people sit outside and if they recognize you, you are fine?  Or is it the selfishness of those that are local fearing that the launches may be closed due to a lot of vehicle traffic? 

Those communities have no problem taking money from others during regular times so it seems like it is the local "fisherman" that have the problem and not the community.

Scottmeafish

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 05:47:20 pm »
Why are you looking for launches? If you have to drive more than 10 minutes to launch you shouldn't be going. These communities don't want hordes of anglers coming to the very few launches that are open.

So if you're within 10 mins of a ramp you're good to go but if you're further you're not?    Explain to me how this one works please.   

Think the logic would be I drive 10min to the grocery store or drive 10min to get to work so how is 10min the launch any different? Not the smartest logic but there is some in there. Where is the logic in driving 2.5 hours each way??  I live two min away from the "launch" and couldn't have paid me to deal with the 50 boat all lined up at 6am on Saturday morning with a pandemic going on. 

BWFish

• Shaker
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2020, 05:49:06 pm »
The first piece of advice from any party from any level of government, from most of the countries in the world is "Stay at Home".
I take that to be Stay at your Principal Residence, i.e. the one one your drivers licence.
Short off delaying or completely shutting down recreational fishing, policing it in Ontario is simple put spot checks on all the 400 series highways, pull you over in to the Enroute parking lots, anybody towing a boat, motor home, RV on trailer, advise them that they should turn around at next interchange because they are stopping and writing those $750 tickets 1 mile past said interchange.
No ramps open on weekends will deter those that miss the spot checks o use secondary routes.
BTW
Have you seen the video on how they tracked the kids from the Florida beaches back home to NYC, New Jersey, Chicago, we all willingly carry a GPS tracking device. They have and will tap into that info.
Do I like it NO, will I follow the "rules" HELL YES" I am 66 I have no wish to gamble with my health and those that I care about.
Short term pain for a long term gain.
HBC respectfully yes we can recognized most "local" boats, however a simpler solution is a community ramp pass to put on your dash when parked using ramp, some towns have been using them for years as yearly ramp passes. These are not regular times. Most locals I know use ramp twice a year put in in spring take out in fall.
Perhaps as tax payers we can convince the local town council to open for locals Wednesdays only, said with sarcasm.
The sooner we get everybody pulling in same direction the sooner they can start to think about fine tuning the "rules"
Stay home, Stay Safe, Stay Healthy
See you on the water soon I hope

BillM

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 07:51:31 pm »

Think the logic would be I drive 10min to the grocery store or drive 10min to get to work so how is 10min the launch any different? Not the smartest logic but there is some in there. Where is the logic in driving 2.5 hours each way??  I live two min away from the "launch" and couldn't have paid me to deal with the 50 boat all lined up at 6am on Saturday morning with a pandemic going on.

How is 2hrs to the launch any different?  What does my travel time have to do with anything?  lol

Scottmeafish

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:56 pm »

How is 2hrs to the launch any different?  What does my travel time have to do with anything?  lol

Well if you did catch the virus here you would spread it to a town hundreds of kilometers away that otherwise wouldn't have had a chance at getting it.  Ramp is closed now anyway. So lots of time for debate

BillM

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 08:13:08 am »

Well if you did catch the virus here you would spread it to a town hundreds of kilometers away that otherwise wouldn't have had a chance at getting it.  Ramp is closed now anyway. So lots of time for debate

You're making a lot of assumptions with this statement.  Social distancing should be in place whether you're driving 10mins to the ramp or 2hrs to the ramp.  Makes no difference.

Scottmeafish

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 06:20:50 pm »

You're making a lot of assumptions with this statement.  Social distancing should be in place whether you're driving 10mins to the ramp or 2hrs to the ramp.  Makes no difference.

Was just referring to why distance matters in your original comment. Social distancing is another can of worms.  By you theory everything should be allowed as long as social distances applies?

BillM

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 06:54:28 pm »

Was just referring to why distance matters in your original comment. Social distancing is another can of worms.  By you theory everything should be allowed as long as social distances applies?

.... and I was replying to John as to why distance matters when using the boat ramp so I guess we're back to my original statement, lol

Cormorant

• Shaker
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2020, 11:26:05 am »
Tried to go outta Jordan 2 days ago. Seen police at the ramp turning people away. I figured since I don't live far I'd just turn around. I have seen boats and trailers there but I personally won't be risking it. Haven't heard much for guys catching anything so maybe all of us stuck on shore aren't missing much. Stay sane everyone

Prenup

• Smolt
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
Anyone know if the Jordan launch is open
Thanks

Cormorant

• Shaker
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2020, 08:10:40 pm »
Anyone know if the Jordan launch is open
Thanks

Called and talked to them today. Launch is closed to the public until June he said. They are only aloud to work on boats. I even asked if they would let me go out if I paid for a slip but no dice

Prenup

• Smolt
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2020, 06:38:42 am »
Shitty news
Thanks though