Author Topic: mono vs braided line  (Read 5441 times)

kennyQ

• Shaker
mono vs braided line
« on: April 11, 2020, 06:40:21 pm »
New to salmon fishing, noticed most lines being used are either mono, leadcore and copper. As far as mono goes on average 20-30lb main line. Any reason why braided is not used with the same lb test with smaller diameter to maximize amount of line on your spool??   

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

BMAC

• 24 Pounder
Re: mono vs braided line
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:06 pm »
The main reason is that water fleas gather on braid and in the warmer months you literally won't be able to fish with it at times as they will jam your rod eyelets and the spool.  When I started salmon fishing Lake Ontario about 10 years ago I didn't have anyone advising me and I had a few ruined trips before I switched over. Trust me don't even bother unless you're just spring fishing.  Mono is also more forgiving and you will land more fish with it.  30 lb big game and if you want to go stealh just tie a leader.

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »
Good to know, thanks for the reply. as mentioned Im new to salmon but troll with braid  for walleye on Erie. Never had a problem with water fleas must be a lake Ontario thing??

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:07:00 pm »
Yes mostly, although in late season in Burwell I do tend to collect the spiny fleas but they easily fling off the line, like BMAC said braid is hopeless in Ont in the warmer months unless you clear your line every 10-15min sometimes.  I just fish the braid until it becomes a PIA, then put them away until early fall.

Not sure if anyone else experienced this but last season I did notice a couple times off Oakville out deep I ran into some of the same types of  fleas as in Burwell. They flicked off easy and also give a bit of a sting just like the Erie ones, not sure if that’s a concern or not.  I would rather have them than the mucky ones we contend with but it’s not really a choice type thing. 

Good luck and hope u get to give it a go this season.  J.
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 03:00:51 pm »
Thanks for the info, do you think i could get away with 20-25lb mono?

BMAC

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:59:50 pm »
Thanks for the info, do you think i could get away with 20-25lb mono?

Its better than braid and will likely be ok for a lot of the year but when the fleas get thick 30lb mono will collect a lot less.  Given the expense of everything else in the boat ( and the boat) its pretty cheap to just spool up with 30lb big game.

I also find that in the late summer the fish often seem to be where the fleas are so it's not like you can avoid them!

BMAC

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:59:48 pm »
I agree with BMAC again about the 30lb but run 20lb personally because I like the fight on the lighter line and run Islander Moochers when it’s just me. With 20lb in July the fleas can be a pain but not near as bad as braid, I just break off much more often and sometimes this is a benefit as I get lots of hits on the break off and it’s an excuse for me to change up the lures more often.  But if you left it for a half hour in the height of the fleas, you would be lucky to reel it in. 

I have 2 sets of Penn Squall’s (fantastic reels!!) and all 4 are for guests when I bring them.  One set is 30lb for general all season use, the other set has flea flicker for the heavy flea season so I don’t need to be breaking off constantly and maintaining so many lines.  I find non anglers can sometimes be harder on equipment/line so for me 30lb is perfect but like I say, for my personal gear it’s 20lb.  The flea flicker is good stuff and does the trick but I would not want to use it all season long as it’s kind of like cable.  Jason. 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 02:31:21 pm »
Appreciate the info guys! Its not the expense, just dont like the heavier line and prefer to go as light as i can to feel the fish. Didn't realize water fleas were such a PIA on lake Ontario during the warmer months. Will take your word for it, you guys obviously know what what your talking about!

Thanks again

KennyQ

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 04:59:52 pm »
Generally speaking, whats the best time avoid the fleas? Spring Im assuming because of the colder temps but, what about the fall?

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 06:25:48 pm »
Generally speaking, whats the best time avoid the fleas? Spring Im assuming because of the colder temps but, what about the fall?
Here on the North shore, flea usually starts toward the end of July.

Rat-yak

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 04:46:06 pm »
So I’m new as well...so summer months run mono ...30lb big game to help with the fleas...even with the dipseys..is this right? Do they grab onto the lead core as well? Do should I just stick to dipseys on the mono with 4 rods...put the braid and lead core away starting in July?