Author Topic: managing your spread  (Read 3832 times)

kennyQ

• Shaker
managing your spread
« on: April 25, 2020, 09:01:50 pm »
Another rookie question..... If running 4 lines, planer board off to one side with five to ten colors out. Two downriggers straight off the back and a dipsey off to the other side?
Do I keep my longer my longer lines to center off my down riggers or my lines off to the side?
First time out for salmon. Any suggestions or tips on setting up and/ or managing my spread would be greatly appreciated??

Thank you in advance

KennyQ

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

BWFish

• Shaker
Re: managing your spread
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 10:37:15 pm »
Rookie answer here, I was told  think of 2 V shapes, horizontal and vertical, deepest lines off the riggers, shallower as you go away from boat, shortest leads on riggers and longer on the dipsies and planer boards, when you get a hit on outside rods hang on and they will slide over top of inner deeper lines hopefully avoiding a unholy mess.
Eager to be corrected by those with more experience
B

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:12:30 pm »
Thanks BW...makes sense.

drjoe

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:30:37 am »
To start keep it simple ! Tangles can ruin your day ! Some days less is more !

smokey0418

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 12:19:27 pm »
Rookie answer, you sure about that.  Seems like you have a lot of expertise in the fishing game. Ever do any chartering? lol

horsehunter

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:22:07 pm »
So if running this "V" pattern and were running a 2 colour SWR rig with a 20 foot leader I'm guessing this would be your deepest rigger. Where would you run your second rigger and with how much lead or set back?
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water.

BWFish

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 02:12:26 pm »
Smokey thanks, I Think!
Truthfully I have back fishing in Ontario the last 4 years and get out chasing salmon 3-4 times a year. In my mind all trolling is covering various depths at variable speeds till you find the hot pattern.
I was told years ago, your first fish is fun, 2nd fish on same rod is coincidence, after the 3rd fish I switch another rod to match the hot rod, leaving 2 others different in case the bite changes.
I have run a SWR back in day of only one rod per,  I run  two riggers with  an 8lb ball on one & a 10lb ball on other, 10lb being deepest I let out  5' less cable with the 8lb ball, I am  guessing with lighter weight resulting in greater blow back the lures will be approx  8-10' apart vertically, typically run them with 20-30' leads. My riggers have 4ft booms set at 45 degrees mounted on a rail set as far back on stern as I could. My guess they are 10ft apart at the tips. Other two rods have dipsys two different sizes both on #3 setting, both let out 150-200ft covering depths approx 15ft apart
This has been working for me and if not broke why fix, others have different set ups and they also catch fish.

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 03:33:18 pm »
Forgive my rookiness, but whats an SWR??

BWFish

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 09:41:47 pm »
Secret Weapon Rig nickname for a 2-3 colour lead-core rig that's run of a down-rigger, lead core sinks approx 5ft for every colour, let out all the lead core put mono backer in rigger clip, with 2 colours  lower ball to 11 ft above bottom and the spoon should be close to scraping bottom, you risk snagging the spoon but your cannon ball is safely 11 ft above, great for lakers and when salmon are hugging bottom.   

kennyQ

• Shaker
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 11:08:32 pm »
Lol... thank!! Will keep that in mind