Author Topic: How to charge cranking battery w Perko switch  (Read 1705 times)

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
How to charge cranking battery w Perko switch
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:20:10 pm »
Hi y’all, had to take my boat out of storage but it’s nice to see it in the derive way.  I have a MinnKota 3 bank charger but I’m not putting my other two batteries in just yet.  I could just plug into to the MinKota charger but I can’t be bothered to crawl up under to make sure none of my trolling battery connectors are touching by accident from bouncing on the trip, don’t want to short anything.

I know I can just put the trickle charger on the + and - of the starting battery but do I need to turn my Perko to #1 or will it charge in the Off position?  I tried to research this and some were saying I had to put the + on the “C” of the Perko, I don’t know what that means and I don’t have access to the back of it anyway.  Thanks for your thoughts. Jason.
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

CATNIP II

• Full Box
Re: How to charge cranking battery w Perko switch
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:32:53 pm »
If you connect the charger direct to the battery, the position of the battery switch does not matter.

B-Rad

• 24 Pounder
Re: How to charge cranking battery w Perko switch
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 07:56:36 pm »
Catnip is correct. I have the MinnKota 3-bank charger and have all three of my batteries hooked up on it. You should make a habit of always keeping them on charge when not in use.  I’m going on 5 years with The batteries I have and after testing them this year, they’re still good for some time yet. I’m sure it something to do with the way they’re maintained.