Author Topic: Marinas are Open to the public starting Saturday  (Read 2225 times)

SSC

• Shaker
Marinas are Open to the public starting Saturday
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:39:25 pm »
Hey everyone,

As per the press release from Doug Ford, Marinas will now be open to the public. Boat ramps fall under the same guidelines however cities will have to unblock some ramps which may take longer to do. check with your local fishing buddies to confirm if your closest ramp has been unblocked before you go!

Good luck to everyone who makes it out there this weekend!

------Silver Salmon Challenge------Lake Ontarios Newest Salmon Derby------#WeWillFishOn------

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

spincast

• 30 Pounder

John Bacon

• 30 Pounder
Re: Marinas are Open to the public starting Saturday
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:14:26 pm »
Also check if it's only open to residents.  Innisfil is open for residents only and you have to schedule your launching and loading times.

FishFarmer

• Full Box
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:10:15 am »
And fish by your self till this shit is over or till they make rules. Don't ruin this for others.
You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

salmontracker

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:56:48 am »
And fish by your self till this shit is over or till they make rules. Don't ruin this for others.

I think fishing solo is riskier than the virus. Especially this time of year with 42 degree water. Go in the frigid water when you’re by yourself you are done. Ain’t happening.

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 01:19:42 pm »

I think fishing solo is riskier than the virus. Especially this time of year with 42 degree water. Go in the frigid water when you’re by yourself you are done. Ain’t happening.

Nope - been doing it for 35+ years and have never gone over.  Plus, you should dress appropriately and also have the kill switch for the motor secured.  But go invite your friends and ruin it for those that will follow the rules.

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »
Like HBC I have solo fished for 30+ yrs, prefer it actually.  I wear a float jacket/suit depending on the weather then switch to an auto inflator for the actual fishing.  Besides my mounted VHF I keep a waterproof floating VHF hand held on a cleat secured to my dash at all times and if it gets crazy rough it gets attached to my waist belt.  But the most important thing for me is I wear a coiled cable attached to the kill switch 100% of the time, I think it was called “the fish alone” or something like that and it never gets in the way, I never know it’s there.  This will seem overkill but if I get caught in really big waves and want to continue fishing I also throw out a floating rope with knots tied every 2’ which is also attached to the kill switch and with some slack, also to a cleat with backing on the inside of the boat.  If I do fall out and the fish alone does not work (can’t see why it would ever fail) I can still grab the rope as it goes by me and either pull the knot rope to kill the motor, or pull myself back to the boat by the knots.  If I hook up, two easy pulls and it’s on deck just before he gets to the surface, floating rope is the key. 

Tried this once with my wife in the boat, pretended to fall over at 2.5mph and with all my gear on, it was a challenge to get back to the boat, without the rope, I could have never swam fast enough to catch up.  Since I fish alone and have some physical issues now I take no chances, I recommend everyone try this at some point, it’s a wake up call to see how hard it is to catch the boat, and that’s assuming you don’t get caught in the cables.  Many guys have said “I would just swim fast and catch up, drop the ladder and crawl in, good luck.  My waterproof “jump box” is also always reachable so if I have to bail out for some reason, I have my flairs, truck keys,  cell in a waterproof bag etc.  I think fishing alone is perfectly safe if you take precautions. 

About 25yrs ago I followed an 20’ boat out of FP with a solo angler, no life jacket and it was only the two of us in 3.5’-4’ waves.  Lost sight of him after about an hour as he went straight out, but he did not come home, OPP said his “Johnson” was out when they found him so he likely had fallen over while taking a leak, the figured being July, a life jacket would have saved his life sadly.  He also had no cub/vhf or hand held, ever since that day I up graded to all of my extra safety precautions. 

Sorry for the long post. Jason.
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

FishFarmer

• Full Box
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 04:05:30 pm »
Anyone know if 50 Pt. ramp is open tomorrow?
I phoned , no answer and machine is full.

salmontracker

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 04:38:06 pm »

I think I’m fully capable of figuring out what is safe for me. As far as the virus goes I pretty much check off all the  pre existing conditions on the list. I do not have a death wish so I’m not taking chances. This thing has been going on long enough that I’m sure everyone can judge for themselves what is safe or not. The government is treating us like children trying to divert attention away from their major screw up with nursing homes. There is going to be big consequences for that once this mess is over. Last I heard 81% of deaths have been in LTC homes. I don’t think we are going to be allowed to go fishing for some time anyway so it’s a moot point. IMHO

FishFarmer

• Full Box
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 05:35:00 pm »
50 pt. ramp is closed till June 1st.
All I can say I'm going fishin.

malew

• Shaker
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 09:00:53 am »
Forans open, about 20 boats are out from there!