Author Topic: Good knot for 50 lb fluoro?  (Read 4205 times)

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
Good knot for 50 lb fluoro?
« on: June 12, 2020, 03:52:34 pm »
I usually use  trilene knot and it stays solid, but went yesterday thought my leaders and both 50 lb ones had knots loose after the winter. Was easy to tighten up but first time I see something like this. Maybe there is a better knot for a really thick line?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

VanDoo Chris

• 24 Pounder
Re: Good knot for 50 lb fluoro?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 05:30:08 pm »
I use the reverse clinch knot when using larger diameter lines like your 50lb and never had any issues.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

chickenchub

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 09:34:45 am »
Springer knot.  Easy to tie and cinches up easily.

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 02:52:24 pm »
Both knots are very good, easy to tie. will give them a try. Thank you guys!

Silver Lining

• Shaker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:21:34 pm »
I use a snell knot for my hooks and a Palomar for attaching to swivels. Never had a knot come undone yet.

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 04:00:38 pm »
That Springer knot  is amazing - so small and easy to tie :) I'd recommend it now too :). Its on youtube

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 02:15:15 pm »
There are many great knots but I like the palomar, has never failed, great for large diameter line, easy to tie always but especially with cold hands, flawless on braid, mono, fluorocarbon.   There cant be an easier stronger knot to tie I don’t think, Springer is good but palomar is way faster and easier imo, moisten well to help avoid week points.  Good luck.
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

happy

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »

I use the centauri or triple o knot for 60 lb mono especially when cod fishing.  It's a very neat slip style knot easy and quick to tie. I modify it with 2 passes through the hook or swivel eye when using 30 lb or less mono.

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
Just to throw it out there, I’ll add that even though I have my favourite knots, I just can’t pull them tight enough anymore in the large test lbs. So I’m crimping everything now from 40lb and up with a swagger tool and it’s great, very small profile and it collects less fleas too.  I gave a 40lb leader to a friend to test in his shop and no matter what he did he could not break it.  Some I make with a bit of a loop, some snug up like a knot, depends on the set up.  I find with artificial herring strips, a tiny loop works amazing with the trailing treble, because there is a little play, the treble stays closer to the center of the tail of the strip due to its own weight as it spins and the hook up rate increased over the snell’d treble. 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON