Author Topic: WTB TORPEDO DOWNRIGGER WEIGHTS  (Read 4666 times)

REEL'EM IN

• Shaker
WTB TORPEDO DOWNRIGGER WEIGHTS
« on: June 24, 2020, 04:18:48 pm »
Looking to buy older style Torpedo Downrigger Weight from Torpedo Fishing Products
16 lb only
Thnx...
Thank you Matt86,, ask and you shall receive,, 2 16 pound TORPEDO...

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

krawler

• Full Box
Re: WTB TORPEDO DOWNRIGGER WEIGHTS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 05:46:49 pm »
Get in line we all do lol.  They were great products.  Near impossible to find.  I like the new Titan trolling weights and decided to go with them, they track nicely with the same or less blowback than the torpedo's. 

REEL'EM IN

• Shaker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 05:54:54 pm »
Have you tried Sharks? I hear they track well with minimal blow back,, pricey...

B-Rad

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 06:13:11 pm »
I was a diehard Torpedo guy until I tried POW Casting weights. I never had issues with Torpedo and still don’t, but POW has far less blowback.

rockin-steelhead

• Full Box
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 07:20:10 pm »
I recommend POW’s as well great products and track great.

Owen416

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 08:05:49 pm »
I have no data for this but looking at the design I’d say lb for lb nothing will have less blowback than a torpedo.  I’m open to to hearing why pow weights are better.  I’m just judging by the surface area and there is nothing slimmer or more streamline.

REEL'EM IN

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 08:24:04 pm »
l'm thinking trial and comparison here? l've still got a 16 left so dropping different designs down at similar depths will prove blow back... any issues on retrieval like spiraling?

linedawg81

• Shaker
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 08:52:40 pm »
We run 12lb Chrome Sharks. 
Rigger cable to blacks release to snubber to shark. 
Run and track great I believe, always see them on the graph. 

But, not sure if sometimes they scare the fish away.  See lots of marks check em out with no hits.  But some days we get the hits. 
Don’t want to paint them to compare. 

We will buy some 12lb Torpedo’s or POW’s to compare if someone is selling?
Or a link to POW’s. 

Thx. 
Linedawg

B-Rad

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 07:16:28 am »
l'm thinking trial and comparison here? l've still got a 16 left so dropping different designs down at similar depths will prove blow back... any issues on retrieval like spiraling?

I’ve had no issues at all with the retrieval of the POW weights. They don’t wobble or spiral.

B-Rad

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:21:26 am »
I have no data for this but looking at the design I’d say lb for lb nothing will have less blowback than a torpedo.  I’m open to to hearing why pow weights are better.  I’m just judging by the surface area and there is nothing slimmer or more streamline.

The POW weights have less surface area at the front of the weight where it cuts through the water. The POW weight has actually a slimmer profile through the entire length of the weight versus the Torpedo. The difference is minimal, but there is a difference. I still have a Torpedo 16#, but it’s my spare.

b_anu00

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 11:34:20 am »
Been wondering as well which is the best for minimal blow back. If anyone has data on the shapes or has 3D models I can run a flow analysis at work to put the debate to bed. The analysis consistently runs within 5-10% accurate of real life dynamics. The only unknown is underwater currents and non linear sideways flows. This is why I believe the shark performs well with the ability to swivel. When you tie the release to the tail of any weight it could in theory inhibit its ability to flow seamlessly. However the facets on the shark will add turbulence and resistance. Trade off, facets make vibrations (good) but cause friction (bad).

I think the torpedo will run well due to its shape and soft face surface but most importantly that it is centrally balanced with its profile. The fact that its 16# also helps. The only fair analysis would be to have them all the same weight and I'm not sure Shark makes a 16#.

BTW I run 12# sharks, they seem to work well for me but I've been wanting to try the torpedo weights as well.

Sorry for nerd rant.

B

Matt86

• Shaker
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 05:19:35 pm »
pm sent

12footspringbok

• Shaker
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 11:22:56 am »
I am here to wade into the "best" downrigger weight debate and I have done my homework along with creating and testing a bunch of weight designs before settling on what in my opinion is the best weight.

Disclosure - I am a partner in the Titan trolling weight.

The 2 main things you want in a rigger weight are good blowback and good tracking.

Blowback - Shape here is very important. Being skinnier or pointier is NOT the best, "cutting" through the water isn't how it works. You want a blunt rounded heavy front to your weight that slowly tapers off towards the rear like a teardrop.

Tracking - The weight needs to be able to turn on its central axis quickly with ease into currents or when you are simply turning the boat. Once again having a blunt rounded nose is best for turning into currents drag free. Having a pointier nose on your weight will hinder this ability greatly! Trust me I know after making a great looking pointy nosed slim weight that tracked like shit! I threw that mold into the scrap bin!
 Running your release clip off the back of your weight is also a bad idea. The drag created by your lure and tension from your rod will affect the weights tracking big time!

Facets or dimples on your weight - It is my and my friends opinion that this is mainly a marketing gimmick that actually increases drag on your weight! I know people that have caught alot of fish including myself with faceted weights, but have caught just as many or more running smooth weights. Think of it like this - if there are 50 boats running faceted weights in a spot like Owen Sound who's weights are the fish going to be attracted to? Is there really an advantage? Do I want the fish looking at my weight or at my lures?

Torpedos - Seemed really popular but why aren't they being produced anymore or why aren't they for sale anymore in Ontario? Was the blowback not that great? Were the rumours of guys tangling rigger cables true?

Sharks - Decent weights overall, like I said many fish caught with them. For a weight that was supposed to be the best though, they sure are lop-sided and un symmetrical. I scanned a few to compare and my god it's a miracle they tracked as well as they do! If you have a shark take a look at how un symetrical the weight is at the tail. No BS I have 3d models of them.

Running 3d models through analysis software to see what's best has drawbacks and isn't super accurate IMO. Too many variables to do a comparison and see which is actually best.
That being said I ran our design through simulation to optimize blowback...

fisherman

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 12:03:36 pm »
Excellent info, well laid out with good testing to prove the product.

REEL'EM IN

• Shaker
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 02:38:31 pm »
I am here to wade into the "best" downrigger weight debate and I have done my homework along with creating and testing a bunch of weight designs before settling on what in my opinion is the best weight.

Disclosure - I am a partner in the Titan trolling weight.

The 2 main things you want in a rigger weight are good blowback and good tracking.

Blowback - Shape here is very important. Being skinnier or pointier is NOT the best, "cutting" through the water isn't how it works. You want a blunt rounded heavy front to your weight that slowly tapers off towards the rear like a teardrop.

Tracking - The weight needs to be able to turn on its central axis quickly with ease into currents or when you are simply turning the boat. Once again having a blunt rounded nose is best for turning into currents drag free. Having a pointier nose on your weight will hinder this ability greatly! Trust me I know after making a great looking pointy nosed slim weight that tracked like shit! I threw that mold into the scrap bin!
 Running your release clip off the back of your weight is also a bad idea. The drag created by your lure and tension from your rod will affect the weights tracking big time!

Facets or dimples on your weight - It is my and my friends opinion that this is mainly a marketing gimmick that actually increases drag on your weight! I know people that have caught alot of fish including myself with faceted weights, but have caught just as many or more running smooth weights. Think of it like this - if there are 50 boats running faceted weights in a spot like Owen Sound who's weights are the fish going to be attracted to? Is there really an advantage? Do I want the fish looking at my weight or at my lures?

Torpedos - Seemed really popular but why aren't they being produced anymore or why aren't they for sale anymore in Ontario? Was the blowback not that great? Were the rumours of guys tangling rigger cables true?

Sharks - Decent weights overall, like I said many fish caught with them. For a weight that was supposed to be the best though, they sure are lop-sided and un symmetrical. I scanned a few to compare and my god it's a miracle they tracked as well as they do! If you have a shark take a look at how un symetrical the weight is at the tail. No BS I have 3d models of them.

Running 3d models through analysis software to see what's best has drawbacks and isn't super accurate IMO. Too many variables to do a comparison and see which is actually best.
That being said I ran our design through simulation to optimize blowback...
Thanks for your post, important info when deciding choice of design. l've used the Torpedo brand for 6 years and have had no issue with regards to tracking or tangling cables mind you if your crazy enough to run multiple riggers at depths ranging 100 to 180 in strong under currents and and throw in windy days while attempting to turn your boat l think you can picture the outcome. Rumor had it that the gentleman that fabricated the weights for Torpedo passed a number of years ago and Torpedo Brand then dropped the line do to profitability. I like your design and but in comparison I'm not convinced there would be a significant difference in performance. I would definitely purchase the Titan weight if or should l say when I'm unlucky enough to loose my last couple of Torpedo weights. Thanks again...