Author Topic: Niagara River/Bar Bass  (Read 1783 times)

Prospin

• Tincan
  • Shaker
Niagara River/Bar Bass
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:22:17 am »
Hi everyone, i've been a member of the SCGFA for three years now and really enjoying fishing the south shore area for salmon and trout.
 I've heard Bass fishing is really good in the Niagara bar/river area, hopefully someone may have a little time to offer me some advice on a starting point for smallmouth bass  in the Niagara River or Niagara bar area. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Randy

Tincan, keeping hooks sticky sharp!
“Keep your hooks Sticky Sharp”

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

joes13

• 24 Pounder
Re: Niagara River/Bar Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 02:04:33 pm »
There are bass on the bar near the green marker buoy. It’s a mixed bag in there. You will catch everything from bass walleye and trout. A lot of people use white swimbaits either on a jig or a drop shot setup. Cast it out and let it tick along the bottom as you drift. Be careful of the US border though, I don’t think you are allowed in there yet with the border lockdown. The lower river is good too all the way from Queenston to the lake. Cast for bass along the shoreline structure such as overhanging trees and weed beds. There is a chance to hook muskies along there too.

Prospin

• Tincan
  • Shaker
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:28:38 pm »
Hi Joes13, thanks so much for your feedback,  I really do appreciate it.
My younger brother who is developmentally challenged loves to fish with rod in hand, so  I will take your advice and try the bar & river tomorrow morning. My normal stomping grounds for largemouth and smallmouth are in the long point bay, which can get rough at times. I live in Brantford so the river may be a good alternative for him on those days when it's too windy to go out on the bay.
 I'll stay on the Canadian side lol, & post results afterwards,
Thanks again,

Prospin

• Tincan
  • Shaker
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 05:34:39 pm »
Turned out to be a good recon day, launched at Queenston went to the bar first fish were not biting & there were other boats near the green marker getting the same result as us.
Wind began to build around 10 am so we went into the river, got familiar with some sections of shore line & weed beds.
Saw a bunch of Gar but no takers. It was a beautiful day & the important part was my brother enjoyed his time on the water!