Author Topic: Yak Attack, Port Burwell Fri July 24 afternoon  (Read 321 times)

King Joe

• Shaker
Yak Attack, Port Burwell Fri July 24 afternoon
« on: July 25, 2020, 10:15:00 am »
Windy predicted off shore turning to onshore about mid-day...and 1' waves.  Windy was about right but the rollers were big!  Launched yak about 11:30.  As it was not too bad, decided to try real deep...deeper than I've done before.  Headed near straight out to 55'dpw.  Big pod of boats way further out...and some east.  Set up spoons and divers at 35 to run to 55.  No interest.  At 55' changed to harnesses and banana.  Purple on one and a white/pink/orange combo (not quite wonderbread) on other.  Hooked up and lost a couple on...what the hell?  Hook up and land 3#ish walleye on purple.  White colour is fired and replaced with, I think, nascar (red, black ladder on brass).  Hook and lose a couple more.  Hook...I think...watch line...weird action....check.  Perch! 

End up looping in 52' moving more and more eastward towards point.  Hook, lose or land various species but no walleye.  Long day already...decide when the box of worms is done, so am I.  Now, WAY east of port and still deep, and wind blowing from SW towards port (meaning, I am basically against wind now and not positioned well), start to run back towards port and to get upwind.  Hook up into a good fish...and land a 6-7# walleye!

Several worm thieves later...I am out of worms and head back in.  For the day...4 perch, 2 silvers, 1 white and 2 walleye; one of which is 6-7#.  Weird day in that I don't think I have lost that many fish in the fight as today.  Also, to catch that many perch.  I think, because of the bouncy conditions, it was hard to monitor the take on the rods...and I was missing the initial take.

King Joe Outa Here!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

waterdownredneck

• 30 Pounder
Re: Yak Attack, Port Burwell Fri July 24 afternoon
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 02:46:30 pm »
Well done man, that’s a long paddle in calm let alone 1’ers, gotta love the spirit!
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

King Joe

• Shaker
Re: Yak Attack, Port Burwell Fri July 24 afternoon
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 10:32:48 am »
Thanks waterdownredneck.  Yeah, it can be a beast sometimes. 

King Joe Outa Here!