Author Topic: deep meat and Dipseys on fire for kings  (Read 3486 times)

HBC

• Full Box
Re: deep meat and Dipseys on fire for kings
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:45 pm »
+1.

Those in the know of this crew actually have an idea on what contributions they have put forward. 

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

onthemoney

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 04:05:17 pm »
Excellent video Dan keep up the great work,
Videos with this good quality are hard to come by, so I applaud both your effort to keep us informed and entertained.
I know some of you are quick to point out floaters but on many occasions when we revived fish and released them they went belly up - due to gear we slow turn of the boat to recover these fish only to have them recover and disappear.

I have seen more fish on their side after being lost during a fight, still dragging gear or shakers stone dead from a hook to the brain. Then I see fishing the same areas as the charter guys.

just my 2 cents

rockin-steelhead

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 05:24:45 pm »
Great video Dan and also love seeing the stuff you put together. As for some of the comments...if only people knew how hard charter captains work for the fisheries as mentioned before all the meetings and advocating for us fishermen for boat ramps etc. This is their lively hoods and they are not going to do stupid things to destroy the fishery we get to enjoy.
I can guarantee that probably at least 85% percent of the people out fishing the great fishery Lake Ontario has have not done a thing to help out from fin clipping, to helping with the pen projects etc.
If any of you fishermen fished Lake Huron or GBay you will know first hand what a collapse of a fishery is like. This was not caused by how guys treated fish but from a bait collapse etc. We are very spoiled to have the fishery we get to enjoy on Lake Ontario. Do you part and help out and I donít mean just by buying a fishing licence.

Paradoxy

• Shaker
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 08:53:10 pm »
Good job Dan..Ppl on a pedestal dont remember the days of the Toronto Star derby when all fish made it into the dumpster at Port Credit after weigh in in the 80s..Id say the majority of ppl release matures now...It is all about stockjng and bait levels

raid235

• Shaker
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 10:09:21 am »
I dont think a floating fish goes to waste. Food for other fish and wildlife. Not that i ever try to cause waste. Just saying its food for others in the food chain. Dont forget these fiah eat other fish its all relative. That being said, I  went on a charter recently that used plastic vise grips on a leader to tow fish behind the boat until they revived. It worked. I dont have plastic grips yet but i used my fish clamp to hold the fish in the water while trolling and had a 100 percent success rate on returned salmon using this metbod. Only issue was i lost valuable time setting rods back up whole reviving the fish but i gelt really good about the releases. Gotta set up a hands ffree rig like the charter

waterdownredneck

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 12:32:48 pm »
Great video, all understandable comments but I believe the guys that this fish dove outside the video scope, but itís good the conversation took place, a good reminder to others not as concerned about catch and release as this charter is.  And man I remember the derby days in the 80ís as well, it was a terrible waste of resources, every fish over 10lbs I think (correct me if Iím wrong) was worth an entry to the draw.  There were rotting fish in every dumpster and ditch around the lift bridge. 

Back then fish were plentiful at the West end and you could hook up, throw it in the live well bomb in, get the gill punched and successfully release it at the dock, did this many times.  The fish are too far out from Burlington to make that work now though, plus as a solo angler I had no one else on board so it was easy to go back and forth.  Keep up the good work. 
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

danne134

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 09:58:57 am »
Appreciate all the support here guys. As much as its a hard topic to touch on, this will hopefully in turn bring light to a few newer anglers that may not know about proper release techniques just yet in their fishing career. Il do better in my future videos you can count on it guys.

Bob Webster

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 11:20:15 am »
Love your vids Dan
But I will disagree about the salmon.  I've never, after dragging them, had them float that long..I think you left some chum. 

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I've had plenty go belly up, turn to go get only to have them flip and take off 50 feet from retrieving them... Well over 75 percent

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

We must be doing it differently then. 
I've not had ANY floaters when I drag them for a while. I never drag a fish that I don't think is going to make it.  If it's hooked bad it's a keeper.
Maybe all that TO hot air has the water warmer...

Bob Webster

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 11:44:11 am »
Love your vids Dan
But I will disagree about the salmon.  I've never, after dragging them, had them float that long..I think you left some chum. 

In the end, who cares?  Many anglers keep the fish so if you release a few that die, big deal.  Better to have the option of them living vs ending up in someone's garden or even worse on a sideroad. 

I torpedo mine and I see them floating in the distance for a few minutes before they disappear.  I'm sure you've done research on the effectiveness of catch and release which includes all stressors.  No matter what anglers may do, some of those fish that appear to be fine when they are released will die (upwards of 25%).  So enjoy the video for what it is because it is amazing.  Those carcasses will still feed the ecosystem so if it isn't your belly, it goes elsewhere.

PS - not a single comment similar noted on LOU to those above.  Keep it up guys and you won't enjoy videos like that on this site.  This is the reason I don't share anything anymore on this site unless it is through a PM. 

Dan - no need to be politically correct.  The best response is no response to comments like that.
I would say many of us care, whether you do or not.
I believe it is unethical, especially as a charter, to knowingly release fish that are not going to make it.
Dans videos are great but people have the right to voice obvious concerns.  Even Dan recognized the poor visual of floating fish.
Survival rates of released salmon have been as high as 100% in studies.  And as low as 55%.  There is alot of variables.
Care needs to be taken on selecting fish to release.  You should only release fish that are not badly hooked and avoid dropping them on the floor.  You shouldn't release them, knowing they're not going to make it, and justify that with "at least I didn't throw them on a side road"?
Anglers have an ethical (most of us) and legal (all of us) to not intentionally leave fish to spoil.
I don't think this is a "politically correct" debate for anyone but you.

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 06:25:03 pm »

Sjhagarty

• Smolt
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »
Love your vids Dan

I've had plenty go belly up, turn to go get only to have them flip and take off 50 feet from retrieving them... Well over 75 percent

We must be doing it differently then. 
I've not had ANY floaters when I drag them for a while. I never drag a fish that I don't think is going to make it.  If it's hooked bad it's a keeper.
Maybe all that TO hot air has the water warmer...
I'd imagine all the hot air from your mouth makes it about even.  But that's just my opinion. 

danne134

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2020, 10:04:13 pm »
weather you guys believe it or not, i love the feedback and communication. as long as you guys keep me in check and sharp, I promise to continue to keep you guys entertained during the weekdays when your working hard to provide for the fams and the passions.

Dan

SHORTnFAT

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:22 am »
Great videos Dan, as always. Glad you dont take it personally. All decent fishermen, like you, hope the fish we throw back will revive. Some dont and the haters will make comments.
Sad

fishers

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 08:47:08 am »
Iíd like to know how I could get actively (fin clip, help with pen, etc) involved with helping the Lake Ontario fisheries. Can you post where we find a list of volunteer activities that come up in the future? 

Great video.

danne134

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 11:00:52 am »
Iíd like to know how I could get actively (fin clip, help with pen, etc) involved with helping the Lake Ontario fisheries. Can you post where we find a list of volunteer activities that come up in the future? 

Great video.

Hey Fishers,

There are a few associations to look into:

Credit river anglers association (check out their facebook page)
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=121875535455&ref=content_filter

Joe Ward is the man in this association and he can get you affiliated with the team there.

Metro east anglers (check out their facebook page)
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1472975066254211&ref=content_filter

Glen anderson is the man in this association and he can get you affiliated with the team there!

These 2 volunteer orgqnizations will get you as involved as it gets within our fishery!

Thanks for your interest man were running low on volunteers these days and any help is greatly appreciated!