Author Topic: Yak Attack Pt. Burwell July 30 midday  (Read 1783 times)

King Joe

• 24 Pounder
Yak Attack Pt. Burwell July 30 midday
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:31:21 am »
Windy.com was bang on today.  Early was to be strong offshore winds...then die off...then switch 180 degrees to onshore with increasing strength about 1:00.  Bang on.  I hit the water about 10 and cruised with wind to about 37'dpw and set up.  Mudline was out about 30dpw.  As it was still strong wind, set up with harnesses and 2oz banana weights out 100'.   Ran straight out with the wind (and half praying Windy was right about the 180 switch) to 55dpw.  Boats well beyond 55 but scattered along the horizon.  Boats also coming and going through the day.  Most the marks I saw were in the 50-52 so focused in that area.

Unlike last yak attack, pretty much landed all the hits I saw maybe losing 4.  Problem was....MOST were sheephead or small perch...and virtually all on, I think, the nascar (red edge, black ladder on gold) .  With nearly a box of worms gone to sheephead and picking perch...and wind dead calm, I reset the lines with divers and spoons.  Near immediately had a ripping hit on watermelon shoehorn and a big walleye (6ish #s) comes to net.  Soon, a small walleye on watermelon...and he is released.  A couple sheep also come to play....also on watermelon.

Wind quickly changed to onshore...and I was working a bit too hard to maintain lure speed to switched again...back to harnesses.  In switching, wind blew me to 46 so after setting lines, headed straight south into the increasing wind...bang, big walleye on nascar.  Change out the standard purple harness to a black oilstain looking harness...and BAM, big walleye on the set.  It actually hit on the run and fought, ahem, like a sheephead.  HAH.  Small perch again on nascar...another good walleye on oil....a couple sheep....then actually got a keeper perch...but with 3 good walleye on the chain, the perch looked tiny in comparison...so he swims still.  Decided the wind was a pain now even though I had strategically positioned myself basically upwind of the port...so, ran for home.  On the run, picked up a couple sheep, small perch...and one more 3# ish walleye.  Off water about 4:00

For the day, finished somewhere in the 10-12 sheep, 5-7 perch (one keeper) and 5 walleye; 2 of which over 5 #s.  Good day.

King Joe Outa Here!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement