Author Topic: Trolling speed and spoons  (Read 565 times)

bigtedd

• Smolt
Trolling speed and spoons
« on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:24 pm »
Hey guys,

Pretty new to Salmon fishing and I am having a hard time hooking up with fish.

From what Iíve read, and the conversations Iíve had with guys at the boat ramps, it seems like the most common speed that these fish are caught at is in between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 mph. I am running a four stroke mercury 60 hp motor, And according to my GPS, I can achieve the desired speeds.

The problem I think I am having, is whenever I am trolling at around 2 1/2 mph and above, I seem to be losing the action of the spoons I am trolling. Or at least it seems like Iím losing the actions, because at those speeds I no longer see the rod tips fluttering back-and-forth like they do when the spoons are running properly. I am having this issue with riggers and dipsys. I am also running 49 lb braid line.

It seems I can really only get that desired action at  speeds under 2 1/2 mph (at least judging by how the ride tips are moving). Right around 2 mph the spoons appear to be giving a nice wobbling action.

Does anyone else experience this? Or do you think that the spoons are still giving an action in the water even if the rod tips arenít bouncing like I think they should be? I have been running mostly Northern King spoons, the magnums and some of the smaller ones too.

Any help would be much appreciated guys, I really like this forum and everyoneís contributions are fantastic.

Thanks!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

bwm3115

• Shaker
Re: Trolling speed and spoons
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 11:35:21 pm »
So I'm no expert but your on the right track with the speed issue. its a big deal. and from my experience you have to find the right speed for your boat and equipment, for example we do the best between 2.2 and 2.6 at the ball. You need down speed if you don't have that yet get it. KEEP changing the speed! when you get a hit pay attention to how fast you were going. were you turning? what side was the hit on etc I could ramble for hours. but this is how we learned. Just my two cents, Good Luck

bigtedd

• Smolt
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 01:17:03 pm »
Thanks man.

Is it fair to say, that if the rod tips aren't dancing....then the spoons aren't wobbling properly and likely just being dragged through the water and are thus "dead"?

bwm3115

• Shaker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 05:21:04 pm »
fair yes, but throw one over the side and watch it and look at the speed. study its action, Good Luck

kayakhank

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:11:26 pm »
If you are fishing with downriggers or dipsy you will not likely see your rod tip bounce.  I would do as other suggest....run the lure beside the boat if you don't have down speed....note the speed.  Alternate slowing down speeding up or doing s turns as down below with current things could be very different.  If it looks good next to the boat....that is probably a good starting point.

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:42:16 am »
So I'm no expert but your on the right track with the speed issue. its a big deal. and from my experience you have to find the right speed for your boat and equipment, for example we do the best between 2.2 and 2.6 at the ball. You need down speed if you don't have that yet get it. KEEP changing the speed! when you get a hit pay attention to how fast you were going. were you turning? what side was the hit on etc I could ramble for hours. but this is how we learned. Just my two cents, Good Luck

Agreed with all of this ... 3.5 mph is fast (but you may have only been going 2.5 mph down speed due to currents).

I'd normally start at 2.5 mph, then vary up and then down from there, and pay attention to strikes on turns, if inside or outside.
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...