Author Topic: First time out this year  (Read 1373 times)

Jerryklimczuk

• 30 Pounder
    • NK Combustion and Boiler Service Inc
First time out this year
« on: August 01, 2020, 10:37:03 pm »
Well finally got out this year for the first time......dont ask, I don't feel like talking about it. Launched out of Whitby on the water by 730am, I know a little late but I am rusty.
Got a wicked heavy hit on the dipsy straight back out of the boat between the 2 riggers (Dipsy at 0 back 300 ft). So me the rusty noob sets the didsy rod into the holder and didnt back the drag off. BOOM, the broomstick dipsy rod bends in half, never seen it bend that much, grab the rod out of the holder.......snap, dead weight, one head shake and cranked down drag and my stainless wire snapped at the dipsy. F@*k, $50 in gear gone, never snapped a wire in my life......wtf kinda whale was that?
2 hours later, not a sniff, what the hell is going on here? Look over, the neighbour I took fishing with me who is a long time fisherman, starts peeling a banana and proceeds to eating it.

"WTF are you eating?"
"A banana why?"
"Well there goes our day, no wonder I lost that monster this morning"

Proceed to troll for 4 hours, nothing  but a sunburn. Start turning back towards port.....pull up a shaker and released. 1 hr later, rod on the 50 ft rigger fires, get my first time salmon fishing buddy to fight it, she was a beaut! He did a good job, got it to the boat, I net it, heavy fish, get it onto the floor of the boat. He is hooked for life....big smile. Got a pic and dinner for the family. Great day out there. Marked a lot of bait balls between 230-180 fow, and some good arches all day. In that range only, nothing shallow, nothing in the BZ.
Got that 24 pounder on a gold, orange and blue Chrome J-Plug style bait in 190 FOW, 50 ft down.
A pretty good day on the water, got another guy addicted to salmon trolling and a feed for the family.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
Re: First time out this year
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:37:22 am »
Awesome! Glad u got into a nice fish! Especially after your rough start!

waterdownredneck

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:41:28 am »
Nice fish though, better buy him a “No Bananas On Board” t-shirt so he knows next time :)
"Little Getaway", Waterdown, ON

Nav175

• Shaker
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:18:46 am »
Nice fish, well you kinda broke the banana fishing myth, my buddy did same thing to me but we got skunked.