Author Topic: Trolling with a 4 stroke "big" motor  (Read 4374 times)

bigtedd

• Smolt
Trolling with a 4 stroke "big" motor
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:11:16 pm »
Hey guys,

Maybe this topic as been covered before.....but what are your thoughts

Is trolling with a larger 4 stroke motor, say anything over and above 40 HP harmful? I have heard yes and no.

Some say it can foul up the plug and ports etc, others say it's not harmful.

Curious to get everyone's take

Thanks!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

James Dexter

• Chasenfish
  • 24 Pounder
Re: Trolling with a 4 stroke "big" motor
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 02:47:17 pm »
I have over 1,500 hours on my 4 stroke 60 HP Mercury with regular fuel used and over 90% of the time is trolling.

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:30:23 pm »
You may want to consider fine throttle controller like I-troll. My friend with a 90 hp yaMaha has added such throttle controller  right to a speedometer and can go as low as 800 rpm when trolling. I think a minimum setting he can dial is 700 rpm.. It has a digital readout and a turning  knob to do the adjustment

Nav175

• Shaker
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »
I am not marine tech, but I have a 90 hp Merc 4 stroke EFI,  I troll down to 2.2 mph at 800 rpm, usually do 4-5 hours per trip salmon fishing. Never had issue yet, I do a 15 minute run at full throttle before and after. I use about $10-15 fuel at most.
My gauges are too old for I troll or similar or I would have forsure, as bumping up and down to maintain 2-3 mph takes a little practice, but I also use tilt/trim to make small speed adjustments.
Tight lines,
Paul

exttrimmer

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 11:02:52 pm »
I have twin 150 yamaha 4 strokes that I alternate trolling on. No issues with plugs jets or injectors. Change oil every 75 hrs in each  motor, which is always at the same time as I make sure they stay within an hour or 2 of each other.
I change the plugs every 100 as required for general maintenance, they are inexpensive and easy to change while slipped at the dock.
Give them the love they need and they will never fail you!!

Do you really need to ask what I do for FUN!!!

bigtedd

• Smolt
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:14:29 am »
Thanks guys.

We recently had some issues with our 60 HP Merc. Wasn't running smooth at all and wouldnt get to top speed. We changed the plugs and it worked much better after.