Author Topic: Yak Attack, Pt. Burwell, Aug 12 AM to LONG DAY!  (Read 2420 times)

King Joe

• 24 Pounder
Yak Attack, Pt. Burwell, Aug 12 AM to LONG DAY!
« on: August 13, 2020, 12:01:29 pm »
Pretty dead calm, wind wise off Burwell...and maybe a bit of forecasting for the fishing as well.

On water about 0645am. Followed the fleet of boats heading out. Slight offshore breeze. Mudline gone by 30'dpw. Set up at 37dpw and with the calm, thought to run RRF and spoon; both off jets 30 and 20 respectively. Continued to cruise out/deeper.....deeper...deeper. At about 53' and still without a sniff....and a couple changes...nearly with a pod of boats. At 60', I am with them.....but no fish friends (for me) yet. I do see a couple guys hook up...but no real slamming action. Oh, it has been several hours already....the longest, for me, I've gone without a sniff at Burwell. Oh, did have an 'on-off' body check on the mini-streak. SLOWWWWW!

Start to run back towards shore...and shallower water. I've been on harnesses for while now...no sniffs. Ran back to 55...then headed east....nothing. Turned back to west. Changed back to spoons, again. FRIGGIN' FINALLY....hook up on a nice 4-ish walleye on green-yellow watermelon shoehorn on the 30 diver. Then, coma again. With onshore breeze picking up...and my energy levels going down....back to harnesses. Plan now is to continue well west of port and upwind....and turn for a run in (with wind) and done.

ON the turn, into a nice walleye. Then another...then lose one...then another. What the hell? Got crazy for a bit. Worm thieves and walleye hook ups. From 53 to 49 (mostly 53) was BUSY...and finally, if I do say so. All were on the same colour harness...sort of an oil stain look. I did have a good fish on, and lost, on my go-to purple w/yellow spots.

With 4 nice walleye on the stringer....nearly out of gatoraide and energy...i decide to finish the day. I do believe I could have continued to circle through 53 and finish the limit.....but I was good. I was off the water and loaded by 1700hrs....LONG day and a 'thousand' miles. For the day (and again, almost all were in the last couple hours), 2 sheephead (only) and 5 walleye - 4 in the 3-5# range (one little guy swims still)...and lost maybe 4 in the fight.

And as slow as it was....it is always a 'win' to be out...and to come home with a snack is a bonus.

King Joe Outa Here!

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

centerspin

• 30 Pounder
Re: Yak Attack, Pt. Burwell, Aug 12 AM to LONG DAY!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:44:41 pm »
Very nice report, thank you!. King Joe,what is your speed there? We got good bites at 2.7- 2.9 mph yesterday at Stanley. Also jigging seems to work. I tried jigging 1st time there and got 2 walleye with the boat standing and barely moving

King Joe

• 24 Pounder
Re: Yak Attack, Pt. Burwell, Aug 12 AM to LONG DAY!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:05:04 pm »
Very nice report, thank you!. King Joe,what is your speed there? We got good bites at 2.7- 2.9 mph yesterday at Stanley. Also jigging seems to work. I tried jigging 1st time there and got 2 walleye with the boat standing and barely moving

My trolling speed (ground speed) for spoons (mini streaks, shoehorns), I try for 2.3-2.7mph.  Harnesses, 1-1.7mph.  Since I am all 'arm power', while I can do 'more'...that speed is not prolonged.  I can do 2.5 for a long time...and 1.5 for ever....Hah.

Yeah, yesterday early was off for me.  Usually, I get onto fish of some species early...then fine tune to what is needed to focus on walleye (lures and/or speed).

King Joe Outa Here!