Author Topic: Salmon Run 2020  (Read 2103 times)

DocK

• 30 Pounder
Salmon Run 2020
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:51:22 am »
Hello gentlemen. I hope all are staying healthy during these strange times. I was hoping to use this thread to update us southerners on how the salmon runs are this year on your side of the pond. Since we will be running into upcoming year classes of salmon with reduced stocking levels, natural reproduction will be critical to maintain good numbers of fish out in the lake. Your feedback may help drive the discussion on future stocking increases back to ďnormalĒ levels.

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

rockin-steelhead

• 30 Pounder
Re: Salmon Run 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:58:00 pm »
Have to ensure there is enough baitfish to support more stocking. Iím all for the stocking but if there is not enough baitfish to support the numbers itís not worth it or over stocking depletes the baitfish that would not be good either.
Has anyone heard the numbers from any of the baitfish captures and testing for this year?

dilligaf0220

• Full Box
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 02:35:38 am »
Have to ensure there is enough baitfish to support more stocking. Iím all for the stocking but if there is not enough baitfish to support the numbers itís not worth it or over stocking depletes the baitfish that would not be good either.
Has anyone heard the numbers from any of the baitfish captures and testing for this year?

Alewife trawls are based on dragging the same nets through mostly the same areas at the same time of year.  Since atleast the 80's.
The lake has changed, the testing hasn't.  There can be a lake full of bait, but if you drag a net through the wrong piece of water at the wrong time, OMG Alewife bait crash crisis!
Every salmon I've caught out of Lady O this season has been THICK, healthy fish.  They are not the underfed emaciated Chinook you see out of Huron or G'Bay.

There is plenty of bait, and I haven't seen a single Gobie in the belly of a King.
A speed bump on a lake of stinkboats & blowboats.

DeathrowFish1

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 08:49:19 am »
Every fish that caught this year had a full belly.  Some to the point where I wondered what they were thinking when they bit as there didnít seem to be any more room for another fish in there.

Also for the first time in probably 15 or 16 years of trolling I did not catch a single fish with lamprey marks on it. How about you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prolinerob

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:56:43 am »
No lamprey for me this year either...

rockin-steelhead

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 11:40:38 am »
I had a few fish this year with a whole belly and wondered why they hit my lure and or bait fish seeing there was no place for it to go inside the stomach from what I could tell.

Deep Meat

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:10:18 pm »

I had 1 lamprey this season. First one in years though!

DocK

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 02:01:58 pm »
Due to Covid, there was no alewife trawl assessment. There is a limited stomach content survey with charter captains collecting stomachs for sampling. It would appear from the easy winters lately, inshore bait levels are crazy good on the south shore. Gizzard shad are reappearing after getting whacked from the bad 2014-15 winters. Smelt in Erie are at some of the highest levels recorded. Check out how Lake Ontario in August blew up with whiting/algae bloom events on the modis satellite imagery. As for the trawler survey, the survey has been expanded greatly in recent years to better understand what is out in the lake but those new sampling sites do not count towards the yearly comparison charts so as not to compare apples to oranges. All signs point towards rebound bait levels IMO. We are going to need more fish stocked again.

malew

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 08:11:56 pm »
Letís hope the mild 2019-2020 winter has reduced effect on baitfish and they rebound in 2020, that should off greater decrease in stocking of Chinook.
Got 5 lamprey this year but surprisingly less fish with marks on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nav175

• Shaker
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 03:04:12 pm »
The few fish I caught , seemed like round full stomachs,  the 30 lb spit an alewife as I unhooked it in net and was football shaped male in late August.
Looking forward to next year putting more time on the water.
Paul

DocK

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 02:15:40 pm »
Not much rain around to help the creek levels. How have the runs been?

HBC

• Full Box
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 11:09:02 pm »
Good out east.  This year's run of coho is spectacular and I haven't seen this number of coho in this river for well over 35 years.

CATNIP II

• Full Box
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 06:54:01 pm »
X3

prolinerob

• 24 Pounder
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 08:32:00 pm »
Went down to the river on Thursday, saw lots of salmon, but THAT's not science.
Nice to see though!
R