Author Topic: South shore stager trolling  (Read 4456 times)

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
South shore stager trolling
« on: September 12, 2020, 01:14:07 pm »
Headed out early this week. Any input? Last few time’s I was out I found the salmons mouths were shut. I threw everything at them with no luck. I gave up and headed to blue zone for some rainbows

I Was Probably going to rip from 50pt- Jordan and troll towards Dalhousie. Around 50 FOW.

I’ve tried varying my
Speeds but I can’t seem to dial em in.whats my
Problem!?

SpoonPullers.com

• Advertisement

drjoe

• Full Box
Re: South shore stager trolling
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 07:48:40 pm »
Problem always color ! First light start close if nothing to 100 fow . The 36 lb King was caught off Port Dalhousie in 100 fow if that is what you are after on cut bait !

AdamMcC

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:29:41 pm »
How'd you make out with the rainbows?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 06:10:19 am »
How'd you make out with the rainbows?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

did well, i have a conservation license so i can only keep 1 which is plenty for the grill for me and the wife. the silver fish out there keep the rods moving thats for sure.

Steelhead Chaser

• Shaker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 03:26:55 am »
Headed out early this week. Any input? Last few time’s I was out I found the salmons mouths were shut. I threw everything at them with no luck. I gave up and headed to blue zone for some rainbows

I Was Probably going to rip from 50pt- Jordan and troll towards Dalhousie. Around 50 FOW.

I’ve tried varying my
Speeds but I can’t seem to dial em in.whats my
Problem!?

Hear me out, especially this time of the year. I read how tough it is for you guys when targeting stagers. It's all I read. Everyone marked tons but the fish had lock jaw.....

I am on a kayak out there. Stagers are my favorite. I will run next to boats and constantly put fish in the yak. I look around and don't see the boats moving many rods. They come up and ask what I am using? Most times its the same as they are. I believe it is the noise you guys produce in shallow that is your problem. I can hear you guys putting around from a long way away... I will land 12 when the guy beside me hits 1. I don't cast much of a shadow nor do I make a sound. As we move deeper the numbers even out but in close I seem to have the advantage.

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:25:32 am »
Ya that’s true I’m gonna start with massive leads on my riggers and shirt leadcore on boards

FishFanatic_fishison

• Shaker
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:27:23 pm »
Steelhead Chaser makes a good point and I can attest to this as I used to fish for staggers on the yak for many years before upgrading to a boat a few years back. It's the 1 time of year when the silent approach is more effective.

What I do now is dial back my 60HP Merc as much as possible and crack up the front mounted Minn Toka as much as possible to lessen the noise in the skinny waters. With a decent tail wind I can even turn off the main motor. Note presentation doesn't need to be fast but it needs to be steady as stagging fish are simply holding out in shallower waters waiting for favorable river conditions as suppose to cruising around the huge lake at tops speeds looking for food.

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 12:16:04 pm »
Lol forget it
I’ll just go to blue zone and chuck spoons from shore with my buddies for stagers lol

Silver Lining

• Shaker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 12:09:13 am »
For stagers is it's a stealth game. long leads off riggers, 60+ feet are the name of the game, dipseys and lead core as well. we've always had success running black spoons and meat rigs for stagers.

TyeeTanic

• Full Box
  • King Kongs
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:16:36 am »
Time to buy a submarine guys!

Just kidding ... I totally get what the 'yakers are saying ... not surprising!
Fishing, the best addiction out there ...

Deep Meat

• 30 Pounder
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 11:43:42 am »

I concur. I ran huugee leads with no luck. That’s ok

Steelhead Chaser

• Shaker
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 03:20:26 am »

Was out again this past weekend. Same thing I hit a bunch and did not see any boats around me move a rod. I truly believe it is the noise in tight for you.